Annie's Reviews > An Introduction to Coaching Skills: A Practical Guide

An Introduction to Coaching Skills by Christian Van Nieuwerburgh

liked it
bookshelves: apdo-book-club

This was the February APDO Book Club read.

Caveat: I haven’t accessed the video content that comes with the book. Despite providing online learning myself, including video content as appropriate, I don’t enjoy watching educational videos for pleasure, and always, always prefer reading.

I did learn new techniques from the book, and I suspect would / will learn more via the videos. However, a lot of it replicated learning during my Postgraduate Certificate in Learning and Teaching in Higher Education, focusing on listening skills, asking open questions, and keeping the “coachee” (hideous term - “person being coached” is longer to say but sounds better) thinking, talking and taking action.

My reading was also marred by my context - this isn’t, in my opinion, a book club read, but rather a mini-course. I’ll be interested to see how our discussion goes tomorrow - perhaps if lots of APDO colleagues turn up who are qualified coaches there will be debate, but for me, it was a case of “Yeah, useful technique ... yep, another useful technique ... yep, I can see how this might help in some circumstances.” 🤷🏻‍♀️

In short, I’ve given this ⭐️⭐️⭐️ but suspect it would rate higher if you read it for what it is intended to be - a textbook for trainee coaches. For me, it fell short as a book club read, but competently did what it claimed to do on its blurb and website.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read An Introduction to Coaching Skills.

February 20, 2021 – Started Reading