Darla Stokes's Reviews > Twelve Sharp

Twelve Sharp by Janet Evanovich

Aug 06, 2012

This is another sentimental rating. I'm not really capable of judging the Stephanie Plum books objectively, because I'm so invested in the characters and the series.

I can't even decide yet how it ranks among my favorites in the series, because it's too new.

I liked, very much, learning more about Ranger, and I liked that Stephanie was a little more grown up. Twelve Sharp is a slightly darker book--a consequence of the more serious case. Which is not to say that there aren't plenty of laughs. Lula and Grandma Mazur do their job, and at one point have me laughing so hard that tears were running down my face.

As usual, I looked over the reviews to see what others did/did not like about the book, and I've come to a conclusion: most of the people who didn't like it didn't like it because of things that are, I think, integral parts of the series: the romantic triangle in particular, but also Grandma Mazur's thing about funeral homes, Steph's ineptness, Lula's clothes, and the general non-seriousness of the series... all things I expected to see. If Twelve Sharp had been about a competetent Stephanie who settled down with either Joe or Ranger, and Grandma Mazur stopped acting goofy, and Lula lost weight and dressed in office clothes, I'd think I'd picked up some fanfic by mistake.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Twelve Sharp.