Jason's Reviews > The Age of Miracles

The Age of Miracles by Karen Thompson Walker

Aug 06, 2012

bookshelves: fiction, science-fiction
Read in August, 2012

Good enough that it made me rethink my opinion of Tom Perrotta's similarly themed book The Leftovers, also released this year. In this as well as Perrotta's novel, something like the apocalypse comes to the suburbs. In The Leftovers, the possible rapture vanishes a random assortment of people, many nonchristian. Those left behind continue with their adult suburban lives with the additional problem of militant religious groups (who were not taken away) and a strange doomsday suicide cult.

In the superior The Age of Miracles, the days begin to lengthen causing associated problems with temperature, magnetism and basic time keeping. There's little mention of religion at all and the only real conflict deals with a breakaway group of citizens who refuse to follow the new government mandated clock. Sounds boring but Thompson Walker's book is the better one because the end of the world is told from the perspective of an intensely relatable 11 year old girl witness to these events while dealing with typical preadolescent traumas: being shunned by her best friend, getting courage to talk to the skateboarder neighbor boy she secretly likes, knowing way too much about her parents' troubled marriage.

While both books work, this one resonates far longer after it has finished.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Age of Miracles.

10/10/2017 marked as: read

Dwight Okita Jason, I also like your review of Miracles. I didn't read the Leftovers, though I was aware of it and chose not to read it. I do like high concept, speculative fiction.

message 3: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy I also thoroughly enjoyed The Leftovers, but like you preferred The Age of Miracles.

message 4: by Jason (last edited Apr 06, 2013 06:42PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jason I'm a big Perrotta fan and really like The Abstinence Teacher and especially Little Children, but I didn't connect with The Leftovers as much as I expected to even though I enjoyed it quite a bit. This book though was an unexpected surprise. I really found the narrator sympathetic and liked her limited point of view of the end times.

Somer Artha I completely agree with you. I think it is shocking how similiar this supposed alternative universe is so similar to the world where we live now.

Sara Erickson I also read The Leftovers & I liked The Ge of Miracles a lot better.

Sara Erickson I'm just curious-did any of you read Stephen King's Under the Dome? It

Jason No, I haven't read Under the Dome. I've heard pretty good things about it though. I'll add it to the never-ending list.

message 9: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy I read Under the Dome. It is very different from the TV series -- better -- but like most Stephen King books quite lengthy! It was worth getting through the 1000+ pages, though.