Beth's Reviews > Graves' End

Graves' End by Sean Patrick Traver

1206593

bookshelves: noir, fantasy, hard-boiled-fantasy, i-heart-gumshoes

My gods, this was a fun book.

Traver's writing is fast paced and keeps the pages turning, creating a world where hard boiled crime fiction and fantasy elements blend perfectly. His LA is steeped in history and culture, and creates an inviting, gritty, wonderful atmosphere that's already brewing a soundtrack in my head. He also gets everything I've adored about fedora toting gumshoes since I was a little girl, but doesn't take it so seriously that you just groan at the idea of an undead pi hanging out with a witch and her necromancer cat. It's just the opposite, with laugh out loud moments and enough creepy characters to keep you absorbed. Seriously, WASP woman? *shudder*

I adored the sweet, father-daughter relationship of Tom and Lia. His back story was well done, but I wish Lia's could have been approached differently. I felt let down with her, almost like it was too much too late. It's one of the things that left me wanting a sequel, she's the type of character you could find yourself growing highly attached to fast, but are just left craving more insight to, and really wish she could have been more developed.

Dexter. How do I love thee? He’s just epic. Like I said previously, I’m a hardcore sucker for a gumshoe, even in skeleton form. He spews forth the cool of the likes of Spade and Marlowe, but does it with such a fantastic combination of sarcastic humor and snappy one liner’s that it makes you not feel the least bit odd or creepy for caring about (un)dead fictional characters.

I noticed quite a few people not liking the time travel twist of an ending, calling it over the top. Was it? Sure. But I've watched enough Dr. Who in my life to know that I just really dig the hell out of over the top crack time travel story lines. Humor is a big theme in this book, so if you go into it without taking it so seriously, you can just sit back and enjoy one hell of a fun read. It's left me begging for a sequel, I'm not quite ready to let go of Dexter just yet.

So thanks, Mr.Traver, for sending me the book, and allowing me to live in its pages for a while. But yes, sequel, I can has?
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Graves' End.

August 5, 2012 – Shelved
August 23, 2012 –
page 123
33.79% "so far, this is a fantastic, fun ride. highly enjoying myself with this one!"
August 28, 2012 –