Julie 's Reviews > I Don't Forgive You

I Don't Forgive You by Aggie Blum Thompson

bookshelves: 2021, e-book, mystery-shelf, netgalley, suspense

I Don’t Forgive You by Aggie Blum Thompson is a 2021 Forge publication.

Crazy, Creepy, and Atmospheric!

Allie and her husband, Mark, along with their young son, have recently moved to DC- settling in an affluent neighborhood. Things go horribly awry after the couple attends a neighborhood party. Allie is assaulted in the restroom, which is bad enough- but when her attacker is later found dead, Allie finds herself a person of interest in the case after a fake Tinder account is found in her name.

From there, one thing after another, points to a deliberate smear campaign against Allie- an attempt to not only ruin her life, but to frame her for murder. The question is… Why?

As it turns out, Allie is harboring secrets from her past- and it looks as though she's been found her out. Is someone from her past seeking revenge, or has someone closer to her discovered Allie's dark secrets- like her less than charming sister in law- or even Mark?

The setup for this novel is unnerving- seriously unsettling- and draws from current fears of identity theft, and deep fakes. In fact, just a few weeks ago, I read an article about a woman who made deep fake videos of her daughter’s cheerleading competitors, which depicted them exhibiting behavior that would get them kicked off the squad. Just goes to show how anyone with the right computer skills could easily make one look guilty of something they didn’t do.

With just the slightest bit of evidence that points to a person’s guilt, the cops might latch on to that theory and run with it. Happens all the time. This is what makes the plot so disturbingly plausible.

The author did a great job with Allie’s character. Thinking about the way the story develops, Allie is the one who carries most of the burden in the novel. The secondary characters do their part- and do it well- as there is not one person Allie can completely trust.

Yet, Allie’s behavior can look a lot like self-sabotage –such as consuming copious amounts of alcohol, which doesn’t help her reputation much. Her one -woman show is harrowing, tense, edgy and very suspenseful.

We could stop there, and I’d be satisfied, as the book delivered what I was expecting it to. Yet, this one stands out just a bit more because although the author stuck to the format's requisite rules, she broke form by taking the genre into deeper, darker, and more emotional territory than your garden variety psych thriller. I do hope readers will pick up on the more meaningful messages in the story, beyond the surface chills and thrills.

While one does experience the usual relief as the roller coaster ride coasts to a stop, the reader isn’t let completely off the hook, as the complexities and emotional aspects continue to linger after the last page is turned… as they should.

Coming June- 2021

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Don't Forgive You.

February 19, 2021 – Shelved
March 5, 2021 – Shelved as: mystery-shelf
March 5, 2021 – Shelved as: netgalley
March 5, 2021 – Shelved as: suspense
April 19, 2021 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)

message 1: by Maureen (new)

Maureen Sounds brilliant Julie, as is your review! ♥️

JanB This is on my NG shelf too and now I’m looking forward to it even more! Great review Julie!

Kat (Books are Comfort Food) Sounds awesome, Julie. So glad you loved it.

message 4: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl Great review, Julie! I'm adding it to my TBR list based on your review!

Julie Maureen wrote: "Sounds brilliant Julie, as is your review! ♥️"

Thanks so much, Maureen!! 💖

Julie JanB wrote: "This is on my NG shelf too and now I’m looking forward to it even more! Great review Julie!"

Thank so much, Jan!! Hope you enjoy it as much as I did! 💖

Julie Kat (Books are Comfort Food) wrote: "Sounds awesome, Julie. So glad you loved it."

Thanks so much, Kat!! 💖

Julie Cheryl wrote: "Great review, Julie! I'm adding it to my TBR list based on your review!"

Thanks so much, Cheryl!! Happy reading!! 💖

message 9: by Angela M (new)

Angela M Julie, my friend, you know me by now - creepy is not for me, but I’m so glad you enjoyed it and found it entertaining.

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader Love this review, Julie! I definitely want to read this one.

Julie Angela M wrote: "Julie, my friend, you know me by now - creepy is not for me, but I’m so glad you enjoyed it and found it entertaining."

Thanks so much, dear Angela!! 💖

Julie Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader wrote: "Love this review, Julie! I definitely want to read this one."

Thanks so much, Jennifer!! I'd love to hear your thoughts on this one! 💖

message 13: by Jen (new) - added it

Jen Terrific review, Julie. You’ve left it like a seasonal finale!

message 14: by Bookish Ally (new) - added it

Bookish Ally Sounds like a fun read, it’s on my list 🌺

message 15: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine Excellent review, Julie! I’ll keep my eye out for this one!

message 16: by Tina (new)

Tina Wow! This sounds really good! Great review Julie! 👍 I will keep this one in mind.

Julie Jen wrote: "Terrific review, Julie. You’ve left it like a seasonal finale!"

Thanks so much, Jen!! Now you'll have to read it to see what happens! 😁💖

Julie Bookish Ally wrote: "Sounds like a fun read, it’s on my list 🌺"

I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!! Happy reading!! 💖

Julie Jasmine wrote: "Excellent review, Julie! I’ll keep my eye out for this one!"

Thanks so much, Jasmine!! 💖

Julie Tina wrote: "Wow! This sounds really good! Great review Julie! 👍 I will keep this one in mind."

Thank you very much, Tina!! 💖

message 21: by Holly (new)

Holly  B Sounds great Julie!

message 22: by Ceecee (new) - added it

Ceecee This sounds so good! Great review Julie 🌺💖

Julie Holly wrote: "Sounds great Julie!"

Thanks so much, Holly!! 💖

Julie Ceecee wrote: "This sounds so good! Great review Julie 🌺💖"

Thank you very much, Ceecee!! I think you would like this one!! 💖

Marialyce (absltmom, yaya) Sounds like a fairly riveting story. Great review, Julie!

message 26: by Yun (new)

Yun This sounds fun, Julie! So glad you enjoyed! A really terrific review! :)

Julie Marialyce (absltmom, yaya) wrote: "Sounds like a fairly riveting story. Great review, Julie!"

Thank you very much, Marialyce!! It was well done- especially for a debut!! 💖

Julie Yun wrote: "This sounds fun, Julie! So glad you enjoyed! A really terrific review! :)"

Thanks so much, Yun!! It was a good, twisty, page turner! 💖

message 29: by Deanna (new)

Deanna I have this coming up. I'm glad you enjoyed :) Great review!! <3

Julie Deanna wrote: "I have this coming up. I'm glad you enjoyed :) Great review!! <3"

Thanks so much, Deanna!! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!! Happy reading!! 💖

Richard (on hiatus) Great review Julie ......... always like a bit more depth, this sounds really good!

Kat This sounds amazing, Julie. I'm glad it digs a bit deeper than its genre mates! Fantastic review.

Julie Richard wrote: "Great review Julie ......... always like a bit more depth, this sounds really good!"

Thanks so much, Richard! So do I! 😊

Julie Kat wrote: "This sounds amazing, Julie. I'm glad it digs a bit deeper than its genre mates! Fantastic review."

Thanks so much, Kat!! 💖

message 35: by Kimber (new)

Kimber Silver This sounds like a thrilling read, Julie! Excellent review! :-)

message 36: by Libby (new)

Libby Great review, Julie! Very exciting premise :-)

message 37: by Mary Beth (new)

Mary Beth Fabulous review! 💜 I am reading this now and it is so good.

message 38: by Laur (new) - added it

Laur You got me! Great review, Julie💖 On my TBR!