Annalise's Reviews > Heaven is for Real: A Little Boy's Astounding Story of His Trip to Heaven and Back

Heaven is for Real by Todd Burpo

Aug 05, 2012

Read in August, 2012

Heaven is for Real

Todd Burpo’s novel, Heaven is for Real, is so true that I couldn’t believe that some of the facts are true. He writes about his son, Colton’s, trip to heaven and back. The Bible never mentions what heaven looks like. In this book, Colton tells us that heaven is full of colors that are still unknown to us, and he tells of how angels are constantly fighting with swords. The fighting with swords shocked me the most because I have always thought of heaven as a non-fighting and peaceful zone. Another example is when Colton sees his sister in heaven. This sister of his died after two months in the mother’s womb a year and a half before Colton was born! Isn’t that amazing?
During and after I read this book, I was overwhelmed. I already was a Christian but this book strengthened my faith because it showed me that heaven is more real than I ever believed! I received proof that heaven exists; solid evidence that I can use to help spread the Word of God. I also have learned that to be a better Christian (to be a better follower), I must have that childlike faith. Lastly, I know that God loves us and answers our prayers. I used to think he only helps us in desperate times, but now I know that he is there for us every day.
Todd Burpo uses real evidence to support his son’s story. He uses the Bible to confirm Colton’s words. He uses other real people, such as nurses and doctors, to prove that Colton’s appendectomy was real. Lastly, there are non-Christian people in this world who would say that this story is not true or fake. To give proof to the non-believers, Burpo uses another girl’s experience that is identical to Colton’s even though she has never heard of Jesus in her life because her family is atheist. These children’s identical stories gives proof of heaven’s existence and are amazing as well!
If you want to read a real life’s story that happened to a real person, then I definitely recommend this book to you. This book was recommended to me by my mother and her friend Sue. This book has changed my life and can also change yours if you give it a chance. The excitement and incredible story makes it a really good read. I hope that you read this wonderful novel!
After reading this book, I discovered that I have not been living a full and true life in the eyes of God. This novel helped me understand that you don’t need to do a lot of things for God to be a faithful servant. You just need to have a child-like faith. I have tried to be more and more like an adult. This led me to find that I was pulled away from God. I wasn’t close to him anymore. After reading this book, I know that I will do my best to regain my relationship with God that I had with him before. This book has given me strength and wisdom. I know I will use what I have learned in whatever I do.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heaven is for Real.