John's Reviews > We Were the Mulvaneys

We Were the Mulvaneys by Joyce Carol Oates

Aug 05, 2012

liked it

I'll give Ms. Oates a benefit of the doubt here. She must be going for a payoff down the line. However I am getting rather tired of 'we are trying to be good Christians' and the 'wwjd' syndromes running throughout the narrative. I havent decided if I think much of her craft and abilities. There are undercurrents; too many clocks in the house (except for two, none are correct not even twice a day), the country club (her husband belongs, but she doesnt fit in), descriptions of the home and farm are frequently described during winter conditions. Where is revenge going to play a role? I want to like Joyce's work, we'll just have to see what happens. I wonder how similar she may be to Stephen King (NOT). I sense impending doom and powers outside the character's control. A merry-go-round going amuck?

Woo hoo, ramifications from the secret. The natives are getting restless. Still no revenge. But we are in for a bumpy ride.

Ok then, not quite so syrupy as I was fearing. Basically another coming of age novel. Traumas suffered in the younger years last a lifetime. Missunderstood statements and events can lead to ruin. Hurry you bad guys and die, so that the family can heal and not miss you by missing you.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read We Were the Mulvaneys.