Tracy's Reviews > The Wilder Life: My Adventures in the Lost World of Little House on the Prairie

The Wilder Life by Wendy McClure

207835

The librarian said to me with a smile, "I rarely comment on the books that people check out, but I've read this one and I think you'll really like it." And I did. I especially enjoyed the mother-daughter relationships that McClure explored. Her willingness to share her weirdo-obsession with finding "Laura World" as an adult, rather than a young reader of the books, was hilariously funny as well as poignant. That memory thing, it'll get you every time.

"Maybe the Little House books have always been a way to unremember--a word that I kept coming back to...I know technically it means to forget but somehow, in my mind the definition changed. To me unremembering is knowing that something once happened or existed by remembering the things around it or by putting something else in its place." (page 324)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wilder Life.

Quotes Tracy Liked

Wendy McClure
“It's the kind of story we learn over and over again about everything in the world: your life starts out as a wild open frontier that you explore until the forces of time or history or civilization or nature intervene, and then suddenly it's all gone, it all weathers and falls down and gets built over; everyone dies or moves away or becomes a grainy photograph, and yes, at some point you just get fat and fall off a streetcar. Progress--it dumps you on your aging and gigantic ass!”
Wendy McClure, The Wilder Life: My Adventures in the Lost World of Little House on the Prairie

August 5, 2012 – Started Reading
August 5, 2012 – Shelved
August 6, 2012 –
page 100
August 12, 2012 –
page 324
96.43% ""Maybe the Little House books have always been a way to unremember--a word that I kept coming back to...I know technically it means to forget but somehow, in my mind the definition changed. To me unremembering is knowing that something once happened or existed by remembering the things around it or by putting something else in its place.""
August 14, 2012 – Finished Reading