Katie's Reviews > A Room with a View

A Room with a View by E.M. Forster

Aug 05, 2012

Read on August 05, 2012

I am aware there are those who find this novel dry and dull, and I understand where many of them are coming from: we've read this story of English love; we've read it many a time. But here's the thing: actually we haven't.

Prior to plowing through this book today, in a rare fit of affection for victorian British lit, I tried to start both Wuthering Heights and Persuasion, and couldn't get more than ten pages into either. Not so for this story. There are the traditionalish struggles between passion and convention, between the desire for independence and the desire to do what is expected; but oh, how close they come to being phrased in a way that is contemporary and relatable for a present-day, unromantic, contemptuous of many ideals of the time female reader such as myself. I didn't roll my eyes at even one love scene, because the story didn't inundate me with them. When I was annoyed by it, it wasn't the work that annoyed me, but the characters--and that's okay, in a novel. I firmly believe that it's all right to be annoyed by what protagonists do, or even by what everyone in the entire book does, as long as this doesn't dovetail by rights with the belief that the book is then not good.

This is a good book. And it's engrossing. And the people portrayed are worth reading about! Thank goodness for you, Mr. Emerson and George Emerson. Thanks for what you've done.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Room with a View.