Annalise Hulse's Reviews > Swan Song

Swan Song by Robert R. McCammon

In a wasteland born of rage and fear, populated by monstrous creatures and marauding armies, earth's last survivors have been drawn into the final battle between good and evil, that will decide the fate of humanity: Sister, who discovers a strange and transformative glass artifact in the destroyed Manhattan streets; Joshua Hutchins, the pro wrestler who takes refuge from the nuclear fallout at a Nebraska gas station; and Swan, a young girl possessing special powers, who travels alongside Josh to a Missouri town where healing and recovery can begin with Swan's gifts. But the ancient force behind earth's devastation is scouring the walking wounded for recruits for its relentless army, beginning with Swan herself.

(GOODREADS SUMMARY)

OMG I just can't describe how much I loved this book!!I nearly wallked into a lampost on my way to work because I literally could not put it down.It's hard to read or review this book without comparing it to Stephen King's The Stand, because the similarities are glaring - both books follow the fates of a group of character's in the aftermath of global disaster - pandemic disease in The Stand, a nuclear holocaust in Swan Song. And in both books, in the aftermath of destruction, a force of evil stalks the decimated earth on a quest to dominate the souls of the survivors. Now, I love Stephen King and I loved The Stand, but I have to say I loved Swan Song even more (sorry for my infidelity SK!)Yet despite the similarities, Swan Song is in no way a rip off of The Stand. It is a truly great novel in its own right.
As I said, Swan Song follows the fates of a group of survivors of a nuclear holocaust as they try to find their way in the ruins of America and, in addition to having to cope with starvation, radiation sickness and bands of marauders, their plight is worsened when it becomes apparent that a force of evil in human form is prowling their devastated civilisation intent on destroying their last vestiges of hope. But there is one amongst the survivors who will grow to challenge his evil - a young girl named Swan, orphaned and horribly scarred in the initial attacks, but with the power within her to draw life from the dead earth. And when the evil being learns of her existence, he will stop at nothing to rid himself of the threat that she poses.
I think the reason that I loved Swan Song more than The Stand is two-fold. Firstly, I liked that the particular disaster was a nuclear holocaust rather than disease, because it gave the survivors more to battle against and made their small successes all the more moving. Secondly, Swan Song deals with the fates of fewer characters than The Stand and that made their stories easier to follow and made me more attached to them. And there are some really great characters in this book, espescially Sister Creep - a crazy New York bag lady before the bombs hit who ends up being a true leader and heroine of the book.
I don't want to go into the plot, because I really would recommend that you read it for yourself, but what I will say is that this is the first book to move me to tears in years.
It truly is an epic read and I can't recommend it enough. Definitely on my favourites list.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Swan Song.

August 5, 2012 – Started Reading
August 5, 2012 – Shelved
August 12, 2012 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Martucci I read this book a long time ago. It is an unforgettable piece. I am glad to see that it impacted somemone else the way it impacted me. And I agree with you that while there were some similarities between Swang Song and The Stand, this book is in no way a "rip off". Like you, I found the characters in Swan Song to be more likeable and well-developed because there were fewer to follow. It is one of my all-time favorites as well! Excellent review!