Wendy's Reviews > Savvy

Nov 23, 2008

liked it
bookshelves: newbery-honor
Read in November, 2008

This is getting some Newbery buzz, but I wasn't thrilled. A good story, well-developed, but I wouldn't say distinguished; it felt a little flat, like the plot was supposed to be enough to drive it. Others have made other good comparisons, but it reminded me of Little Miss Sunshine.

The most interesting parts to me were about the relationship between Mibs and her perfect mother; I would have liked to see that explored a lot more. I guess this is good fluff with some meat, and I would have enjoyed it more if it was good meat with some fluff.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Savvy.

04/28/2016 marked as: read

Denae Christine So true. I, too, liked the way Mibs's family got alone and their special relationship (tidbits about Mibs/mom or Mibs/dad conversations), but too bad about the plot. I sort of wished their savvies would have proved useful (stopping some thief or bad guy would have been nice) rather than just getting them in trouble, damaging property, and have the readers watch the kids travel for two days.
Yep, not enough meat.

Alison May I ask how you knew the book was getting "Newbery buzz"? How does someone find out these things?

Wendy Hi, Alison! When we talk about "Newbery buzz" we always just mean what we, ourselves as non-Newbery-committee members, are talking about. So we never actually know what's getting serious consideration from the committee unless a book wins an award or honor. But two major places people talk about Newbery possibilities every year: the Heavy Medal blog on the School Library Journal website, and here on Goodreads there's a poll every year for what books people think might win the Newbery. ("Newbery 2012" this year.) The poll is open to anyone so the results are skewed, but quite a few people who have been on the committee in the past and are involved in the children's literature world vote, too. I use that list, combined with Heavy Medal discussion, as a reading list every year. Please join us!

Alison Ooh! How do I find out about the poll?