Jo's Reviews > Tiger Lily

Tiger Lily by Jodi Lynn Anderson

bookshelves: young-adult

I want this story to live in my heart forever.

"Let me tell you something straight off. This is a love story, but not like any you've heard. The boy and the girl are far from innocent. Dear lives are lost. And good doesn't win. In some places, there is something ultimately good about endings. In Neverland, that is not the case."

So begins Tiger Lily, a book I can only describe as 'hauntingly beautiful' and 'captivatingly catastrophic'.

Tiger Lily is, in the most simple terms, a retelling of the story of Peter Pan from the point of view of Tiger Lily. But that's not quite right. It's actually a love story narrated by Tinkerbell, a mute fairy who reads what's in the hearts of the people around her but has no ability to influence events. I assure you, those opening words are very true: It is a love story. And it isn't like anything else I've ever heard.

The first half of the book is full of beautiful prose, although the story builds slowly. As we explore Neverland through Tinkerbell's perceptions and Tiger Lily's actions, we're introduced to a world of beauty and fear, wilderness and an adherence to rules and structure. And then we meet Peter Pan.

This Peter is not the clean-cut, green tunic-wearing, flying hero of Disney, but a rough and tumble boy doing the best he can to eke out an existence amongst the mud and fear. But there's just something about Peter -- something that calls to the wildness in Tiger Lily's heart. And, I admit, to mine.

Jodi Lynn Anderson writes beautiful prose. But, more than that, she writes beautiful, authentic characters. And she does so in a way that I was drawn into the story -- I became Tiger Lily as she felt love and pain and hurt and loss and betrayal. I felt my own heart torn in two.

The last third of the book is amazing and powerful and heartwrenching. Even if you find the first part too slow for your usual taste, I impore you to stick with it. Enjoy the world Anderson brings to life, and let Tiger Lily tattoo her name across your heart the way she did mine. Because when the story ends, you won't want to let it, or her, go.

You'll want her to live in your heart forever.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tiger Lily.

August 4, 2012 – Started Reading