Panagiota's Reviews > Random Family: Love, Drugs, Trouble, and Coming of Age in the Bronx

Random Family by Adrian Nicole LeBlanc

Nov 22, 2008

bookshelves: informational

My notes: Random Family by Adrian Nicole LeBlanc is a nonfiction book about how families in the Bronx acted and grew up in the late eighties to the twenty-first century. There are two main story lines with Jessica and Boy George and Jessica’s younger brother Cesar and his girlfriend Coco. Jessica and her family are living in Bronx, New York, at a time where there are a lot of illegal drug activities. Poverty and being hungry is the motive for most of the people who are involved with the drug activities. All the people want is somehow to escape the lives they have, but in the end all they have escaped is nothing. Many of the people are intertwined with each other and their storylines overlap. What is another problem, other than the selling of the illegal drugs is how many of the young teenage girls are getting pregnant left and right with many different fathers. None of the fathers step up and take care of these girls like they should.

While reading, I became very frustrated because nobody took responsibility for how his or her life turned out. They all talked about change, but did nothing to better themselves. By the time some of them learned his or her lesson, it was too late and all the damaged had already occurred. What I really hoped for was for the cycle to be broken by the new generation, but I was disappointed and let down when exactly what had happened the generation before, happened again.

If I were to teach this book, it would have to be at the high school level. Students can analyze the patterns and cycles of these young people and see how generations grow or repeat. It is an eye-opening book, but very interesting. It makes you appreciate your own life and what you have.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Random Family.