Tattered Cover Book Store's Reviews > The Metaphysical Club

The Metaphysical Club by Louis Menand

Nov 22, 2008

bookshelves: jeannie-recommends, staff-recommends

An utterly fascinating, superbly written history of the pragmatist thinkers of the 19th century...William James, Oliver Wendall Holmes, John Dewey.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Metaphysical Club.

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

What is metaphysical about it? Those don't sound like metaphysical thinkers to me at all. Did I miss something?
duh, Alice

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

ps- are you in downtown Denver? we are coming up next weekend. We love old book stores. Our fav was Tidal Wave in Albuquerque. I once thought I ran into Stephen King there and gave chase, poor man. It was just someone who looks lots like him! LOL!

Tattered Cover Book Store The Metaphysical Club is an actual club that these three men all belonged to. And yes, we are in Lodo (Lower Downtown)--1628 16th Street, which is the corner of 16th and Wynkoop. We've also got a store on Colfax and Elizabeth, which isn't too far from downtown. You can get directions at our website: www.tatteredcover.com. Please do come and visit us!

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks, we will be there. I love to go into downtown Denver especially Larimer Square area but my husband hates it. However, he loves bookstores too.