Dillan Taylor's Reviews > Think Again: The Power of Knowing What You Don't Know

Think Again by Adam M. Grant

One of my favorite reads of 2021.

Adam masterfully proves through research and case studies that those who are most willing to have their minds changed are the most successful and fulfilled in whatever it is they're working on or talking about.

With his background in psychology, he explains the science behind the way we construct arguments and make decisions. Most of the time, we decide what we want to be true first, then look for evidence that supports our belief (as well as brush off evidence that challenges our belief).

My biggest takeaways from the book:

• Don't ask kids what they want to be when they grow up. It puts pressure on them to latch onto an identity and stick with it.

(This hit home because it took me 26 years to figure out what I wanted to be when I grew up.)

• In addition to a support system, it's vital to have a challenge system—a person or group who respectfully disagrees with our opinions. When we stay in a bubble of folks we agree with, chaos can ensue when we meet someone who challenges our beliefs.

(e.g. In 2016, I only talked politics with my also-very liberal friends...When I met a Trump supporter for the first time, I thought they were from another planet, which was NOT a productive mindset.)

• Changing one's mind is not a sign of weakness; it's a sign of humility and care for improvement.

• The best question to ask ourselves or someone we're arguing with is: What evidence would change your mind? If the answer is "nothing," then the conversation is a dead end.

9/10

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Think Again.

February 15, 2021 – Shelved
February 15, 2021 – Shelved as: to-read
May 18, 2021 – Started Reading
May 18, 2021 –
May 19, 2021 –
May 20, 2021 –
May 20, 2021 –
79.0% "This is gonna be a 5 star review."
May 22, 2021 – Finished Reading