E.C. Newman's Reviews > A Discovery of Witches

Aug 04, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: paranormal, romantic
Read from August 04 to September 11, 2012

I wanted to give it four stars for the depth of information and how delightful the beginning half was. but my issues with the second half are numerous. when I have time to process I'll write more later.

*** later 9/26/12***

Well, I've tried to process and I really blame the romance element of the story. Once the characters left Oxford, something changed. I loved the tension between Diana and Matthew pre-France, when finding out about the manuscript was important and all those around them were regarded with caution. Once the romance was spoken (I like you, you like me), the writing, the story, and my attachment was tossed. The writing felt stilted and often too rushed (things, important events happened quickly and were disregarded just as quickly). Matthew leaves to check up on some things and Diana cries like he died and was gone forever. Mere hours after the 'i love you' realization. Seriously? They're adults, with somewhat rational minds. Diana is supposed to be really smart, but sometimes I wanted to slap her for her choices (me, who is not nearly as intelligent and never hopes to be). Matthew as a vampire is not a huge depart from the cliche, i.e. possessive, territorial and arrogant. He does yoga, so you know, good on him.

I just didn't like anyone after Oxford. In Oxford, I felt safe in the hands of a good story, rich in detail and history and character development. After Oxford, I lost interest and there was too many supernatural elements thrown together in a story that started out so wonderfully.

I don't know if any of this makes sense. I just know I probably won't continue with the series.

08/04
09/04
86.0% "I really have lost the desire to know how this ends, but I'll finish it because I'm close. I feel like the richness of the language and story has just been lost since they left Oxford."
09/10
88.0% "so everyone seems to read Diana's mind. the crises in this story seem random and without a point."
10/27 marked as: read
show 8 hidden updates…

E.C. Newman The sciencey bit is a little over my head, but that's not stopping me. I really like this.

E.C. Newman She's sobbing like he's dead. what the hell? I think the romance just lost me.

E.C. Newman what happened? I loved the first half of this. now Diana annoys me and I want to slap Matthew.

Sarah Okay, I think I figured out something. Post-Oxford until now, there hasn't been much concern for the manuscript, and, for me at least, the story lagged because the focus was too much about all the romantic and familial relationships. I'm still not finished, but now that a missing page from the manuscript has been found, I hope the literary detection part will ramp back up.