Zeek's Reviews > The Gamble

The Gamble by Kristen Ashley

Aug 04, 2012

bookshelves: kindle, romance-anxst, romantica, romance, uber-alpha-male

Okay I totally get the appeal of this author. (Talk about alpha male heroes! WHEW)

But seriously, the author's in need of editing, plotwise and most certainly dialogue-wise- "Sorry?" the heroine said it so many times I was about to throw my kindle across the room!- Still, man, she gets what woman like in a hot romance. Uber alpha, protective, mostly possessive- but not in a psycho way- slightly tortured heroes, who get their heroine's quirkiness and, more then that, like their strength and intelligence. Oh and did I mention hot in the bedroom??

In The Gamble, the heroine, Nina Sheridan, decides to rent a gorgeous cabin in the mountains of Colorado for a week or two, to clear her head and decide if she really does want to commit the rest of her life to a man she's just not sure about.

Only to find out when she arrives that there's been a mixup and the stoic mountain man who owns the place is still there. Thinking to run away as fast as she can, after standing up to the obnoxious guy, she gets caught in a snow drift and passes out. Now days later, after being sick and out of it for most of it, she finds he's not ready to let her go, and she's realizing that the thing missing from her relationship with her fiance back in England- is taking care of her in the mountains of Colorado.

Throw in some sweet townspeople, some crazy bitchy exes- which, for the record, is a theme of Ashley's- a murder mystery which, although elaborate, unfolds through telling rather than showing, and you get pretty good start to a series. I'm hoping this author matures a bit in her craft- because she's got the juice, people!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Gamble.

Started Reading
July 20, 2012 – Finished Reading
August 4, 2012 – Shelved
August 4, 2012 – Shelved as: kindle
August 4, 2012 – Shelved as: romance-anxst
August 4, 2012 – Shelved as: romantica
August 4, 2012 – Shelved as: romance
August 4, 2012 – Shelved as: uber-alpha-male

~V~ Yay, glad you liked it Zeek! I agree w/ you on the editing, but i've loved everything i've read by her so far..her books are very addicting! ;)

Keri Zeek that is my biggest pet peeve about these books. If she would only hire an editor these books would be completely awesome to me.

Zeek Agreed on both counts! ;)

MelissaB Great review Zeek! Her books are cracktastic despite the issues I have with them. Her heroines *whisper* everything and the phrase "This is true" is said about 15 times in every book.

I still need to read this one but I enjoyed the rest of the series!

SheLove2Read I've got this one on my TBR pile but haven't started it yet. Good to know it's great!

message 6: by Zeek (last edited Aug 06, 2012 08:50AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Zeek Well I thought it was anyway, Sher- like I said, if you're a stickler for grammar and the like, it might be difficult to swallow, she writes in the modern vernacular so it can be difficult to follow the dialog sometimes alotta times! (I find myself going back over a sentence a time or two "wait, what did he just say?")

BUT, there is something about her characters that I really like!

~V~ I agree with Zeek, Sherri! Her characters are great and so are her stories! If you are able to get past some editing issues you really are in for a treat! :)