Carol's Reviews > Then Again

Then Again by Diane Keaton

Aug 04, 2012

Recommended to Carol by: I saw her on a talk show.
Recommended for: Anyone who admired Diane Keaton's work.

I read this touching memoir by Diane Keaton on kindle, mostly late at night. I'd read some, and then put it away for a bit. I think it was my way of savoring this brief feeling of having a friendship with someone I've long admired. And it does feel like she's sharing her thoughts with a new friend. I've thought Diane Keaton was so very special from her very first television appearances on late night talk shows. She was beautiful, but so honest and not a little flighty. My mother and I couldn't help but love her. She is an honest writer, and doesn't mince words. She reveals a great deal about her own life, as well as the story of her mother's depression and later experiences with Alzheimer's disease. The only part that bothered me was her self-disparagement. I still want to write her a letter saying "have you looked in the mirror, can't you realize your accomplishments?" I very much enjoyed her sharing parts of her very private life with her children, Dexter and Duke. As accomplished as she is, they may indeed be her finest work.

I wondered if the print version had more photographs. She is a photographer, and I'd like to see more of her work.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Then Again.