Kristen McQuinn's Reviews > Heir to Sevenwaters

Nov 21, 2008

liked it
bookshelves: fantasy, historical-fiction, irish, medievalism, paganism, 2012
Read in May, 2012

** spoiler alert ** EDIT: I just reread this and enjoyed it much more than I apparently did the first time. I say apparently because, oddly, I have absolutely no recollection of reading this book previously. That almost never happens to me. Once I read a story, I tend to remember them. Anyway, I definitely liked this a great deal. I am also stoked about reading the next book in the Sevenwaters series as well as the new book Marillier has coming out this fall!

**Old review**
As far as Juliet Marillier's books go, this was fairly sub-standard. While the previous three Sevenwaters books had a similar trait--the sheltered young woman leaves home for various reasons and falls in love with a young man who would otherwise be completely unacceptable were it not for his honor/loyalty/save something at the last minute--this one was too formulaic. I think Marillier can do much better. That said, this was still a wonderful book and Marillier is a better writer than many out there.

I did like that this one was more "Otherworldly" than the others. The others all had elements of the Otherworld, this one was largely set in the land of Faerie. It was a much darker book than many of Marillier's usual, which I really liked, actually. Yes, the lovers still end up married happily, but there is a shadow hanging over them. There is ample room for another Sevenwaters book, and I do hope that it Marillier's intent. I still enjoy her writing immensely, even when I think she could do better, as here.

Anyway, I also liked that Clodagh was not a typical heroine. In fact, she was nothing more than a girl who was more than capable of running a large household, not much more, as was noted more than once throughout the book. But she overcomes her fears and self doubt to save her lover at great personal risk. In that regard, she is typical of the female hero. But she didn't have the same sense of confidence that the three previous women had. Even Fainne, in Child of the Prophecy had a bit more confidence. Clodagh knew what she had to do and didn't hesitate to do it, but she had fears the whole time. In that regard, she was probably more realistic than any of the others, including Fainne.

At the end of the day, this was a book about selfless love, many, many different kinds. It would be good book for younger readers as well as adults. It can stand alone from the other Sevenwaters books, which is nice. Everything that is mentioned from the other books is easily explained in a way that's not annoying for those who've read the previous books but is sufficient for those who haven't to understand what's happening.

Overall, this is still a very good book, and I would recommend it to fantasy fans.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heir to Sevenwaters.

Alaine I am half way through the Child of the Prophecy and am really enjoying it. I've ordered Heir to Sevenwaters and will read it as soon as I get it. Are you enjoying it?

Kristen McQuinn Yes, I did actually enjoy it pretty well. I didn't like it as much as her other books, but I still think she's a better writer than most others out there right now! :) Have you read any of her other books, or just the Sevenwaters series?

Alaine I just finished the Child of the Prophecy, I didn't like it quite as much as the other two but still loved it. I have Wolfskin and Foxmask and I just bought the first in the Bridei Chronicles. I'm going to read the Twilight series next and then I'll start on the Bridei Chronicles.