Sheyla ✎'s Reviews > Mortal Prey

Mortal Prey by John Sandford

bookshelves: 2021, audible, series

This is one of the times when I wish Lucas wasn't so lucky.

Who doesn't remember Clara Rinker? She was the one that got away. A killer for hire that was created and used by the St. Louis mob. She was the best at what she did, then she met Lucas, even danced with him, and she was almost able to beat him. She disappeared without a trace and the FBI had nowhere to go.

Years later, Clara is back on the FBI watch. Clara has been hiding in Mexico, she was in love and was pregnant when someone shot and killed her boyfriend, the son of a drug lord. They shoot her too and she loses her baby. The FBI will ask Lucas for help in tracking her. They believe she is coming back to the USA to seek revenge and they know he can help capture her and put her away for good. Lucas who is in the middle of a house renovation and wedding planning jumps at the opportunity to have another go at Clara.

This one was so well done! We know some of the FBI characters and Lucas meets a few more ex-cops that help with the investigation. The pace is fast and the twists are good ones.

Clara's character made me sad. She has lost everything and she has been used and manipulated for years. She was turned into a killer after years of abuse by men. She never had a chance.

Darn Iowa Kid.

Cliffhanger: No

4/5 Fangs

MrsLeif's Two Fangs About It | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mortal Prey.

February 9, 2021 – Started Reading
February 9, 2021 – Finished Reading
February 13, 2021 – Shelved
February 14, 2021 – Shelved as: 2021
February 14, 2021 – Shelved as: audible
February 14, 2021 – Shelved as: series

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)

message 1: by Michael (new)

Michael David Great review, Sheyla!

message 2: by Laurie (new)

Laurie Murphy Great review, Sheyla! I really liked the Clara Rinker character and thought in some alternate universe she and Davenport could have gotten together.

Sheyla ✎ Michael wrote: "Great review, Sheyla!"

Thank you, Michael.

Sheyla ✎ Laurie wrote: "Great review, Sheyla! I really liked the Clara Rinker character and thought in some alternate universe she and Davenport could have gotten together."

I agree completely!!!

Diana Great review Sheyla! I can’t wait to start this one next. I was hoping to see more Clara at some point. :)

message 6: by Yun (new)

Yun Terrific review, Sheyla! Glad you enjoyed! :)

message 7: by Holly (new)

Holly  B Great review Sheyla! I need to try this author!

message 8: by Jayme (new)

Jayme Terrific review!

Sheyla ✎ Diana wrote: "Great review Sheyla! I can’t wait to start this one next. I was hoping to see more Clara at some point. :)"

It's a good one because she is such an interesting character and in a different world, Lucas and she could have been something.

Sheyla ✎ Yun wrote: "Terrific review, Sheyla! Glad you enjoyed! :)"

Thank you, Yun.

Sheyla ✎ Holly wrote: "Great review Sheyla! I need to try this author!"

I love this character now but at the beginning, I didn't. I also love his friends, the camaraderie they have.

Sheyla ✎ Jayme wrote: "Terrific review!"

Thank you, Jayme.

Kim ~ It’s All About the Thrill Great review Sheyla! This sounds good!

Sheyla ✎ Kim ~ It’s All About the Thrill wrote: "Great review Sheyla! This sounds good!"

Thank you, Kim.