Mal's Reviews > Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen

Born to Run by Christopher McDougall

Aug 03, 2012

As I finally let myself say that I am indeed a runner, I come to this kind of book skeptically but desperately. So, for any newbie, please be aware of my baggage when you read this. I've been running most of my life although I got serious about it much later than most. So, anyone who endorses a newfangled technique for getting rid of perma-injury gets me interested and I immediately assume it can't be done. I really enjoyed the stories in the book although there isn't a ton of actual evidence other than anecdotes and logic trails. Pretty fun as a personal bio and like I said good stories but not really the purported argument for barefootedness. Kind of along the lines of a krakauer but not quite.

Either way, reading this book made me try the whole barefoot running thing. I should stipulate that when I read this, I was going through yet another somewhat mysterious injury (what really is wrong? what really caused it? and if i don't change anything in my behavior, how do i know it won't happen again?), so i was keen to try something. I'm still only occasionally doing the barefoot thing as I've never really managed to power through the calf-burn so I'm still not a believer, but I'm definitely not anti-barefoot.

Sooo, after that long personal tale, this book is still a 4-star for me as a book to read but in terms of how it actually impacted me, it's a 5. Really glad I read it. Thanks H for the rec.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Born to Run.