tENTATIVELY, cONVENIENCE's Reviews > A Graveyard of My Own

bookshelves: mysteries

review of
Ron Goulart's A Graveyard of my Own
by tENTATIVELY, a cONVENIENCE - August 3, 2012

Oh, well. Since I review every bk I read now I read certain bks to relieve myself of feeling responsible for writing a detailed intellectual review. I enjoy reading Goulart at the same time that I consider his writing to be fluff. I decided to read this one b/c I've only previously read his Sci-Fi & I was curious about how he'd write a mystery.

There are a few quirky distinctive Goulart bits to it: a character who compares every woman he sees to obscure Hollywood starlets, the character pool centering around comic bk artists. Perhaps what interested me the most about it was Goulart's plotting following a fairly linear deductive line. It was all very realistic & believable. This made for somewhat dull & unsurprising reading but established that Goulart cd write this way w/o having to rely on ultra-violence or whatever.

What I really want to read of his are the mysteries that have Groucho Marx as the detective. Or something like that. It seems perhaps a bit too gimmicky but Goulart's pretty entertaining w/ the gimmicks so I imagine he cd pull that off.

Even tho Goulart is clearly a hack writer I still feel a little bad giving this bk such a lacklustre review so I'll recommend looking at this somewhat more thoughtful review of mine of his Wildsmith instead:

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Graveyard of My Own.

Started Reading