Darren's Reviews > East of Eden

East of Eden by John Steinbeck

M 50x66
Jul 30, 2007

Recommended for: all avid readers, for sure

This book was recommended to me by a friend, and that usually scares me off (odd, I know), but since reading it I've recommended it to everyone I know who likes to read. It's a very well-developed book with an interesting plot but, what I enjoy more, some deep themes and great ideas. Steinbeck has a pretty cool outlook on life, I think, and maybe that's just because I feel like it agrees with my own in a lot of places. The book emphasizes taking care of what you've been blessed with / given, loving others despite differences you may have, being honest in the face of worldly forces that drive most people to selfishness, ... and so much more ... so rich. And it's all presented brilliantly.

One complaint, though, is that all female characters are presented in a weird light - they all seem to be deceptive, and are more like objects than people. This is also seen in Of Mice and Men by the same author, but I feel that the main female character of The Pearl is the voice of reason and moderation, so I don't know if it was intentional by the author or if he just had women perform certain roles in different works. All I'm sure about is that the portrayal of women in this book irked me.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read East of Eden.