Alejandro's Reviews > Deception Point

Deception Point by Dan Brown

bookshelves: science-fiction, novel, politics, military, espionage

I liked a lot this novel!

NASA AND MY PERSONAL ADMIRATION FOR THAT INSTITUTION

In my mind, the men and women of NASA are history's modern pioneers. They attempt the impossible, accept failure, and then back to the drawing board while the rest of us stand back and criticize.

Back then in 2009, I found this novel by chance or fate.

By then, I already knew who Dan Brown was (it's not like I was living in cave, hehehe) but I still have to read his way popular books with the character of Robert Langdon. (While I already watched the two film adaptations done so far)

However, I found interesting to read this book since I noticed that the story involved NASA.

I am a huge fan of NASA, maybe an indirect result of being a fan of Star Trek, I don´t know, maybe even it can be due to being even before fan of Lost in Space and Space: 1999. The main point is that I admire a lot to NASA.

And I am still a great fan of anything related with NASA.

In fact, one of my fondest memories is when finally I was able to visit the Kennedy Space Center. And even bought a jacket of those (green-like with NASA and Space Shuttle patches) the astronauts wear when they aren't using, well... space suits! :P

ALIEN LIFE BUT NOT YOUR TYPICAL GREEN MEN

There's just no substitute for the truth.

Here, you will find a very good story about the possibility of finding alien life. But maybe not in the way that you were expecting. But a more realistic scientific approach. I liked a lot the way of how Dan Brown proposed his idea of the finding of alien life, since it can be easily the way as it will happen in real life.

ANYTHING THAT NEEDS MONEY FUNDING, EXPECTS RESULTS

Anyone who said power was not addictive had never really experienced it.

I think that a proof of how good is this book (at least to me) is that it's a real dark story, full of dangers and deceptions (it's on the title!) related to NASA and since I admire the institution but the story is presented in such smart and plausible way that I could embrace the tale with open mind, understanding the intended bottom line in the book. Since after all, one thing is any organization and its inspiring goals, and other the people which manage it, that after all, they are just human beings.

This book is written in way that if you are fan of Michael Crichton books, you will like this one too. It has a narrative style so engaging that I enjoyed a lot the reading experience.

The writing style of Dan Brown is fantastic and I enjoyed the whole experience of reading the book, even more since in some novels you have a very good main plot but some dull secondary plot and/or scenes that you feel "dragged" when you have to read those chapters, but in my personal experience with the novel, I enjoyed to read the whole book with all its plots.

If you like techno-thrillers, NASA-related novels and/or Dan Browns books, certainly you will enjoy to pick this novel.

Highly recommended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Deception Point.

November 20, 2008 – Shelved
February 24, 2009 – Started Reading
March 10, 2009 – Finished Reading
June 30, 2013 – Shelved as: science-fiction
August 5, 2013 – Shelved as: novel
November 21, 2014 – Shelved as: politics
November 21, 2014 – Shelved as: military
November 21, 2014 – Shelved as: espionage

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)

message 1: by Jonnie (new)

Jonnie Oh brilliant review! I have this book on my shelf but have never had the chance to read it! Will definitely bump it up in my tbr ;)

message 2: by Natalie (new)

Natalie I liked this one and Angels and demons still have his latest ones to read. But I love his style of writing great review

message 3: by TL (new)

TL great review, glad you enjoyed this:)

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

message 5: by Paula (new)

Paula Kalin I'm a huge Star Trek fan also, Alejandro. I always look forward to Christmas as it is the time to put up our Borg and Bird of Prey ornaments on the tree. Everyone thinks were nuts when they come to visit, but we are big fans. I think you are right about being a fan of NASA as a result of Star Trek. P :)

message 6: by Margitte (new)

Margitte I bow to your deep admiration for the author and his books. Michael Chrichton did rattle my branches with his engaging writing style, though. I love the idea of finding life in outer space. You will love this website: http://www.buzzfeed.com/daves4/the-un...

message 7: by Florencia (new) - added it

Florencia Great review, Alejandro!

message 8: by Brandi (new)

Brandi Wonderful review, Alejandro! :)

message 9: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Good review! Really enjoyed reading it. Do the characters actually have contact with the aliens or is it a kind of "Close encounters" type of experience?

message 10: by Heena (new) - added it

Heena Rathore P. Great Review dear!
I love Dan Brown's books and this is on my latest TBR list.

Alejandro Jonnie wrote: "Oh brilliant review! I have this book on my shelf but have never had the chance to read it! Will definitely bump it up in my tbr ;)"

Hi, Jonnie. Thank you for your kind appraisal!

Oh, definitely give it a try! I can't guarantee that you may like as much as I did, but maybe you will! ;)

Alejandro Natalie wrote: "I liked this one and Angels and demons still have his latest ones to read. But I love his style of writing great review"

Hi, Natalie. Definitely, I have to (and I want to) read the book series with Robert Langdon character. Oh, yes, his writing style is quite engaging! ;)

Alejandro TL wrote: "great review, glad you enjoyed this:)"

Thank you, TL! :D I appreciate your feedback!

message 14: by Alejandro (last edited Nov 23, 2014 10:33AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Alejandro Hunger For Knowledge wrote: "Great review, and quite refreshing to see positive review of Browns books for a change."

Hi, Hunger! Oh, no two people ever read the same book, so none book is a $100 bill to be well received by anyone. I supposed that while there must be people who really read the books and they truly didn't like them, there are others whom just dislike the author since it's a "mass popular" writer which is read by many people that they thought as "non serious readers". I don't see anything wrong with an author with a good writing style AND being popular by the general populance, gaining TONS of money in selling his books.

In this land of God, there are all kind of people. Positive ones and negative ones. I like to think that I am one of the positive ones.

Obviously, there are books that I hadn't enjoy to read, but I prefer to judge them due my own personal reading experience and not due a general thinking of it and/or not caring if the book is popular or unknown.

Alejandro Paula wrote: "I'm a huge Star Trek fan also, Alejandro. I always look forward to Christmas as it is the time to put up our Borg and Bird of Prey ornaments on the tree. Everyone thinks were nuts when they come ..."

Hi, Paula! So cool that you have Star Trek ornaments for your tree! :D

Oh, and yes, definitely Star Trek has to be a strong factor in the equation that I became a fan of NASA ;) Hehehe.

Alejandro Margitte wrote: "I bow to your deep admiration for the author and his books. Michael Chrichton did rattle my branches with his engaging writing style, though. I love the idea of finding life in outer space. You wil..."

Hi, Margitte :D Oh, yes, definitely Chrichton and Brown are great authors. Sadly, Chrichton isn't with us anymore.

Cool site! Thanks for the link! ;)

Alejandro Florencia wrote: "Great review, Alejandro!"

Thank you, Florencia! I appreciate your kind appraisal! :D

Alejandro Brandi wrote: "Wonderful review, Alejandro! :)"

Thank you so much, Brandi! :)

Alejandro Debbie wrote: "Good review! Really enjoyed reading it. Do the characters actually have contact with the aliens or is it a kind of "Close encounters" type of experience?"

Hi, Debbie! Hehehe, none of those options that you suggested ;) The "finding" of alien life is of a totally different kind that you are thinking about. ;)

I can't spoil it, maybe you may give it a try to the book. I can't guarantee that you may like it, but with any luck, you will ;)

Alejandro Heena wrote: "Great Review dear!
I love Dan Brown's books and this is on my latest TBR list."

Hi, Heena! Such curious, while this was my "first", it will be your "last" ;) Hehehe.

Definitely I want to read the other books by Brown soon.

message 21: by Sanjay (new) - added it

Sanjay Gautam A very nice review, indeed!

Adrienne What a wonderful review. I will now read the book. Thank you