Hayley's Reviews > She Got Up Off the Couch: And Other Heroic Acts from Mooreland, Indiana

She Got Up Off the Couch by Haven Kimmel

Aug 02, 2012

liked it

I would give this book closer to 3.5 stars, but ultimately rounded down. Kimmel's novel was filled with quirky characters and funny tales, but the pervading sadness of the memoir stuck in my head. Being alone in a family of searching souls, the dirty home, mothers of her friends being the only ones that realized she hadn't eaten all day, a mother focused on finding herself late in life but forgetting that there was still a daughter who needed something more, a father who finally gives into all his ugly passions, and all the rats, the rats nearly killed me, kept me from laughing at all the crazy moments. I am focusing harshly on a novel that was meant to highlight a mother that "got up off the couch", but these threads were so blinding to me that the focus couldn't rest anywhere else. Kimmel survives her crazy childhood with an amazing sense of humor and, I think, the ability to realize that no one (especially parents) are perfect, and we are all searching for something more when our homes are unfulfilling places.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read She Got Up Off the Couch.

August 2, 2012 – Started Reading