megs_bookrack's Reviews > Stamped: Racism, Antiracism, and You

Stamped by Jason  Reynolds

Ibram X. Kendi's book Stamped from the Beginning: The Definitive History of Racist Ideas in America was first released in 2016.

Kendi, a Boston University Professor and founder of the BU Center for Antiracist Research, was awarded the National Book Award in nonfiction for the title. It's also close to 600-pages by a man who can certainly run intellectual circles around me. For that fact alone, I find it intimidating.

Luckily for me, and a lot of other Readers, Kendi decided he wanted to find someone who could take his ideas and write it in a way that would be more agreeable to a younger audience. Hence, Stamped: Racism, Antiracism, and You was born.

It sounds like it took a little cajoling, but eventually Reynolds, a well-loved author of Children's and Young Adult fiction, agreed to take on the project.

I chose to listen to the audiobook because I knew that it was narrated by Reynolds. I'm so happy that I did. I would have enjoyed it had I read a hard copy, but hearing it from him, in the way he felt it should be read, was a really special experience.

This book offers a concise history of racism, and the racist ideas that have been used to justify slavery and oppression of black people in the United States, from the time of the first slaves arrival to the country, up through the creation of the Black Lives Matter movement.

It's framed through three separate schools of thought: segregationists, assimilationists and antiracists. It explains how racist ideologies were constructed in a way to gain and keep power; how they led to the systemic issues prevalent today.

Reynolds states numerous times that this is not a history book, and you know what, it doesn't feel like one. The way this is presented makes it feel like you are talking with a friend. It's engaging, it's forthright and it's a must read.

The entire way through I was jotting down ideas, people and events that I want to learn more about. After reading this, I am no longer intimidated by Kendi's original work. I want to read it and plan to by the end of the year!

I cannot recommend this enough. Particularly the audiobook. If you haven't read this one yet, you absolutely should.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stamped.

February 7, 2021 – Started Reading
February 7, 2021 – Shelved
February 9, 2021 –
30.0% "Exceptionally well done audiobook!!"
February 10, 2021 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)

message 1: by Chelsea (new) - added it

Chelsea Moreen I’m currently reading black is the body by Emily Bennard I’d highly recommend it! Ooh and the pocket change collective series, they are short nonfictions that are so so good :D

megs_bookrack Chelsea wrote: "I’m currently reading black is the body by Emily Bennard I’d highly recommend it! Ooh and the pocket change collective series, they are short nonfictions that are so so good :D"
Thank you so much, Chelsea! I will look into these!

Meagan ✊🏼 Blacklivesmatter ✊🏼Blacktranslivesmatter I started a similar personal challenge last year. I ended up reading 10 books. I kind of lost momentum at the end of the year. And I'm already behind this year lol. I started two non fiction books and am 50% through both of them. I should have just stuck to reading one and I'd at least have one whole book done 🤦🏽‍♀️

I'd recommend Medical Apartheid by Harriet Washington. Such a good book. Good luck with your challenge!

megs_bookrack Meagan ✊🏼 Blacklivesmatter ✊🏼Blacktranslivesmatter wrote: "I started a similar personal challenge last year. I ended up reading 10 books. I kind of lost momentum at the end of the year. And I'm already behind this year lol. I started two non fiction books ..."
I wouldn't be surprised if I lose momentum by the end as well, Meagan. So far, I am finding audiobooks definitely help me. Thank you for the recommendation. I am definitely going to add it. xx

Brandice This is a great read, I liked how the content was accessible for a YA audience and adults.

megs_bookrack Brandice wrote: "This is a great read, I liked how the content was accessible for a YA audience and adults." Glad to hear you enjoyed it, Brandice. I thought this would be a good place for me to start over the Adult version. I have heard nothing but good things!

Meagan ✊🏼 Blacklivesmatter ✊🏼Blacktranslivesmatter I tried to start with the adult version but stopped like 6% in. History is not really my thing and that book was so detailed. I think I might try this version first now too🤔

megs_bookrack Meagan ✊🏼 Blacklivesmatter ✊🏼Blacktranslivesmatter wrote: "I tried to start with the adult version but stopped like 6% in. History is not really my thing and that book was so detailed. I think I might try this version first now too🤔" It's soooo good. I'm not sure if you do audiobooks, but I highly recommend listening to this one. It's read by Jason Reynolds and he makes it seem like you are talking with a friend.

megs_bookrack Meagan ✊🏼 Blacklivesmatter ✊🏼Blacktranslivesmatter wrote: "I tried to start with the adult version but stopped like 6% in. History is not really my thing and that book was so detailed. I think I might try this version first now too🤔" P.S. I got the audiobook for Medical Apartheid from my library and planning to listen to it next. Thanks for the rec!