Elyse's Reviews > One Last Thing Before I Go

One Last Thing Before I Go by Jonathan Tropper

Aug 02, 2012

Update-- This is a $1.99 Kindle special today! This author is so much fun but he hasn't written a book in quite a while. I'd love to see a new book come out by him. When I need a comic tragic very fun book I think of Jonathan Tropper. This book fits the bill.

This was everything thing I wanted --'at the moment'!!! Jonathan Tropper is my 'go-to' author
when I'm in the mood to read about Jewish families --their problems -and laugh my ass off! He's got some FABULOUS lines. I only wish I could remember them myself at times --'use-them-on others'! ha ha!

I'm Jewish. It can feel a little too 'red & Green' everywhere I go this time of year, 'for me'.....so as treat to myself ---I turn to reading something fun-funny-pathetic-mostly just wonderful- -knowing my Jewish-born-heart-feels a little more supported during this season. (just sayin)

I wanted some 'humor' -(about real people) ---Jonathan is the man!

I had so much fun reading this book --reading the best lines to my husband. (watching him laugh) --telling the entire story to my friend, Kim at the gym while we were doing our carido --(yet I had not gotten to the end yet) --we were 'both' trying to 'guess' the ending. I can't wait to go back and tell her....[we both got the ending wrong --and a 'little' right]....

Several 'parts' to the ending ---we were trying to 'solve' all parts.....

People (even NON-Jews) --who have NEVER read 'Tropper' --do not know what they are missing.

This author knows 'people'!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Last Thing Before I Go.

August 2, 2012 – Started Reading
August 2, 2012 – Shelved
December 23, 2013 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Kallie (new) - added it

Kallie Sounds good, Elyse. I like good family stories, so I'll check it out. Have you read Michael Cunningham's Flesh and Blood? I recommend that one too.

Elyse Hi Kallie: No, I haven't read "Flesh and Blood". --but I like Michael Cunningham. (his writing sure draws me in). I read "By Nightfall". Thanks for 'thumbs-up' on Flesh & Blood. I've do want to read more books by this author. I found another of his paperback books in a thrift store last year (still sitting on my shelf) --Its called "At Home At the End of the World". Read 'that' one?
Are you like me??? Have books in your house (found for about a dollar) ---but still have not read yet? --I've many of my own books to catch up on.
Then add book-club picks -and 'new' books you want to read (now) --as in the 'mood'....and even in a lifetime --we won't read all that we wish.
The BEST of problems! lol

For YOUR first 'Tropper' book ---I would choose "This is Where I Leave You"! Its really fun! I like them all!

Happy Holidays, **Kallie*** :)

message 3: by Kallie (new) - added it

Kallie Yep. I'm a bargain bookkeeper. You have Happy Holidays too!

Elyse :)

message 5: by Suzanne (new) - added it

Suzanne Love your review as always Elyse, candid, say it how it is.

Elyse laughing! Thanks!

message 7: by Larry (new)

Larry Great author....very funny. He also writes the Banshee series on TV.

Elyse I've never even heard of that Larry.

Has it been on a long time? What channel? Funny? Must be!

message 9: by Larry (new)

Larry It's on MAX, action adventure series about a small PA town's sheriff with a sketchy background.

Elyse Great!!!! Thanks... I'm in bed... Just home from surgery - my husband marked it! Thank you! I had to have a complete ankle replacement. I went to a top world known specialist in San Francisco. Spent 3 nights in the hospital... Now just starting my recovery. It's from an old ski accident that was never set right. ( old technology)... The bone just couldn't take any more years of my physical abuse....lol. Running...hiking...yoga...biking..etc... But with my new friend... I named HER 'BOO'...... (She & I are connecting and becoming partners)...... I/we will be able to have a new fresh life again with enjoying the activities I want!

First... The recovery! Oops... Speaking of... Paul is coming over to give me my morning -at home - shot. OUCH! Lol. Funny will be fun right now!

message 11: by Larry (new)

Larry Wish you a speedy recovery....easy on the oxy! You'll certainly have lots of reading and TV time.

Elyse Laughing... How did you know that's what they give? It's true they sent me he with oxecodine

I don't remember having it before

I AM cutting out - cutting down- skipping some of my scheduled 'pill' times

Would you switch to Advil?

I'll take any tips you have! If you have real hand experience.

message 13: by Larry (new)

Larry I would head over to the "wellness" center!

Elyse I asked ... So I get what I ..,

I'll figure it out -

Thanks anyway.

message 15: by Larry (new)

Larry Just say'in.....I just hope you feel better soon whatever your path.

message 16: by Lily (last edited May 02, 2015 04:33PM) (new) - added it

Lily I didn't know he created the Banshee series. My husband is always trying to get me to watch it. I must check it out now and this book. Great review.

Elyse Thank you Larry!

You too, Lily, thank you!

message 18: by Miriam (new)

Miriam Smith Great review Elyse 👋

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader Enjoyed your review, Elyse! I listened to my first Tropper a couple months back and enjoyed it (the one that was made into a movie? This Is How It Ends? I think?). Entertaining reading and listening!

Elyse Lily wrote: "I didn't know he created the Banshee series. My husband is always trying to get me to watch it. I must check it out now and this book. Great review."

Lily --I'm so sorry for being late -- Did you watch it 'yet'? lol I haven't seen it.

Elyse Miriam wrote: "Great review Elyse 👋"

Hi Miriam -- love your little hand wave --(means you sent that from your smart phone --yes?) --- love those fun things. Hugs with a pretend wave lol xox

Elyse Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader wrote: "Enjoyed your review, Elyse! I listened to my first Tropper a couple months back and enjoyed it (the one that was made into a movie? This Is How It Ends? I think?). Entertaining reading and listening!"

Jennifer -wasn't that one hilarious? I thought the book was better than the movie --but I 'liked' the movie too.........
Its just that in the book --they had a couple of 'great' scenes they kept out of the movie....
plus they made the movie --especially near the end a little more serious -- with a different 'feel' to it IMO.......
but oh I thought that was soooooooooooo good!
This is a good one too.....(different --but still good!!)

Crossing fingers for a 'new' one: I figure we are 'due'! lol
xoxox

message 23: by Samra (new)

Samra Yusuf enjoyed reading your full of energy review....elyse!

message 24: by Auden (new)

Auden Dar Another wonderful review, Elyse!

Elyse Samra wrote: "enjoyed reading your full of energy review....elyse!"

Thank you Samra -- boy---the heat in the Bay Area today --is trying to 'zap' my energy! --'everyone's energy'! Trying not to let it!!!
Going to an ice skating rink sounds nice right about now! lol 106 degrees outside. xoxo

Elyse Auden wrote: "Another wonderful review, Elyse!"

Thanks Auden. Tropper is a fun author to read -- not slap stick funny --but 'shaking-your-head' kinda funny. Hugs to you! xo

message 27: by Brandice (new)

Brandice I just downloaded this when I saw it was on sale yesterday :). Looking forward to reading it!

Elyse Brandice... enjoy!!! :)

message 29: by Glenda (new) - added it

Glenda Ricord I thought I already had this on my iPad, but I couldn't find it. So I snatched it for $1.99. So many books, so little time. Thanks Elyse for the update.

message 30: by Karen (new)

Karen So happy to hear that you really enjoyed this Elyse. It sounds like a wonderful book.
xo

message 31: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan Elyse, You've got me very interested. Which Jonathan Tropper book(s) should I add first, do you think? Thanks for any recommendations. I love reading about other Jewish families.