Elizabeth's Reviews > At Risk

At Risk by Patricia Cornwell

Aug 01, 2012

it was ok

I got this book from the library because I enjoy the author and was a little excited to see a book by her that I could read in less than 2 weeks. I read it in a day. Not because it was good, but because there was no substance to it. I kept waiting for the introduction of characters to stop and the actual story to begin. None of the characters are likable, which is a shame because story line is sacrificed for the sake of getting to know these awful characters. In such a short book, did I really have to hear repeatedly how the main character went bargain shopping for his designer stuff? Or how manipulative and awful his boss is? I got it the first time. And how many times did his "partner" have to complain about working his case, feeling too old to be involved with him, and not being good enough for the classes she was taking? Rather repetitive for such a short book. We're also not actually given the clues to be able to attempt to solve the "mystery" ourselves. We're given hints as to what the clues might be, but not the clues themselves. That's not to say the end was a surprise. It wasn't. Not even a little. I really wanted to like this book. Sadly, I didn't.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read At Risk.