Kat's Reviews > Definitely Dead

Definitely Dead by Charlaine Harris

did not like it
bookshelves: boring, because-i-bought-the-damn-thing

Never come across a book series that makes me hate reading so much until this one. I have an OCD-ish habit of having to read every book I buy, and for some reason I bought three more of these damn things. Yikes.

My biggest issue is how come an idiot girl with vampires, werewolves/tigers/panthers/(any other random animal) in her life can be so unbelievably boring. The book is full of people telling Sookie she's wonderful, special, they love her, no less than three men/vamps/weres/whatever go all macho and protect her, and she's thrilled with that. The author feels the need to tell the reader every single piece of information about a person's clothing (which if she's female generally ends with the conclusion that Sookie hates her), or life even if they're only in the book for one page or two. Like Portia. Why does she keep showing up? Her scenes are so small and pointless, and it takes Sookie paragraphs to describe her and then she'll have only one or two sentences to say before never being seen again.

Oh, and Quinn. Vomit. Gary-Stu alert. And he's a weretiger. Come.The.F**k.On.

On top of that the plot is all over the place and doesn't seem to take into account a normal human/superhuman reaction. Jason's girlfriend is suffering a miscarriage, so he comes to Sookie and tells her. Her response is to make a call, and then make him lunch. Neither of them visit the poor girl in (presumably) pain. The girlfriend, Crystal, who I feel the need to again remind someone that she miscarried Sookie's niece/nephew, is never seen or heard from during this trauma nor once throughout the rest of the book.

All these books lead me to the same conclusion: I hate Sookie Stackhouse.

Anyone want my 9 books?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Definitely Dead.

Finished Reading
August 1, 2012 – Shelved
August 1, 2012 – Shelved as: boring
August 1, 2012 – Shelved as: because-i-bought-the-damn-thing

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

message 1: by Julia (new)

Julia Now I don't feel so bad about not being interested in this series. LOL!

message 2: by Kat (new) - rated it 1 star

Kat Julia wrote: "Now I don't feel so bad about not being interested in this series. LOL!"

Be thankful you've been spared! Tho if you want the first nine books I'll send them to you just to get them off my bookshelf. :)

message 3: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Grogan I think I read four of the books and got sick of EVERY male in Sookie's life being attracted to her. I'm also glad to hear I wasn't the only one not getting it.

Tanya I made a point of asking people to pick them up for Christmas and birthdays, so pretty much had them all before I started reading..... what a waste of my precious time.