Marlet's Reviews > Home Safe

Home Safe by Elizabeth Berg

bookshelves: favorites

I’m now officially a fan of Elizabeth Berg. This is my second book and I finished it in 3 days. I guess Berg has a gift in hooking readers with her natural storytelling style.

Home Safe is about a novelist and a widow who can’t get over the death of her husband. While the theme may sound depressing, Berg managed to tell Helen’s life without too much weight in the heart. It’s not like I’d get to almost choke with tears but there were moments in the book that I truly felt for Helen.

Helen was very dependent on others. Should I blame her husband for sheltering her with all the trivial things in life? She didn’t even know where the water meter is! She gets lost in streets that she drives almost every day. Thankfully, there’s Tessa, her daughter who, fortunately, grew up to be smarter than Helen is.

As Helen tries to discover new things, post-married life, she realized many things about life. She sees the goodness in other people’s hearts and becomes more forgiving. She’s almost there, deciding for herself until she finds out that her husband did something behind her back.

The cover tells everything: Helen was born again.

I know I said that fiction is my escape and I try to deviate for anything very familiar to real life. But this book is relatable. Maybe it’s the reason Home Safe is such an easy read.

Berg knows where and when to touch one’s heart.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Home Safe.

Quotes Marlet Liked

Elizabeth Berg
“Who doesn't long for one more time of seeing someone they've loved and lost? And yet what would you say, what would you do, if it were possible?”
Elizabeth Berg, Home Safe