Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)'s Reviews > Blood Bound

Blood Bound by Patricia Briggs

Nov 20, 2008

bookshelves: urban-fantasy, owned-copy, shapeshifter, heroine-i-adore, favorite-or-autobuy-author, favorites, hero-to-die-for, werewolf, vampire, faerie, demon, part-of-a-series
Recommended for: fans of urban fantasy, werewolf fiction, great heroines
Read from January 28 to 31, 2010

There is something so wonderful about Patricia Briggs's writing for this reader. She is able to create a world in which I am completely drawn in, but she writes with such simple elegance. Without a doubt, this is my favorite urban fantasy series so far.

Mercy Thompson is the kind of heroine that earns my devotion. She is so brave, but has the same fears and uncertainties that us readers have. She wants a simple life, even though she's a walker, a coyote shapeshifter, who is up to her neck in werewolf politics, not to mention vampire and fae issues. She has to go to work the next day even after staying up all night, dealing with demon-possessed vampires and the like, knowing that some of her close friends might be dead. I think Ms. Briggs has really tapped into the wellspring of what pulls me in as a reader in this genre. She is able to give me a fantastic world that is imbued with the real life things, and the combination is very satisfying.

Mercy could not be more admirable. Not a perfect person, but who is? Nevertheless, she has qualities that earn my respect. She is strong, and loving, empathetic, and willing to do the dirty jobs. Her courage in a truly harrowing situation spoke to me. She could have just moved on, and took things as they ended, but her conscience told her she had to finish things. Which she did, despite her fear, her guilt about doing something that went against her code, and her disgust at what she had to to. And Mercy is surrounded by men (wolves/vamps) who are used to exerting their dominance, but she navigates her way through this testosterone-laden world without losing her sense of self, or control over her own life.

The men in this series. Oh, the men. Adam is the keeper of my heart. I just love that man. I believe he is the right man for Mercy, hands down. The chemistry between Mercy and Adam is divine. There is a naturalness to their relationship, full of tension, but so organic. I loved all their scenes together, reading the subtext of their complex relationship. How Adam has to suppress his compelling power as the alpha, but his feelings for Mercy make it difficult. How Mercy wants to submit, but doesn't want to, at the same time, out of fear of losing herself and disappearing into the pack hierarchy. So intense! And then there's Samuel. He was Mercy's first boyfriend, the man she almost mated to. He still wants her, even more than ever. But he knows he messed up the first time, and his fight to give Mercy the choice of who she wants, takes its toll on him. And then there's his pain at what he has lost, and fears he will never have again.

The vampires in this series are scary! They are predators, pure and simple. They have powers that make them formidable enemies and uneasy allies. Mercy's 'so-called' friend Stefan has an ambiguosity to him that is inherent because of his being a powerful vampire, but at the same time, having a humaneness that the other vampires lack. He's one of the good ones, but he's still a predator at the end of the day. Mercy knows she's in over her head when she has to deal with the vampires, and particularly a demon-possessed sorcerer vampire. But Mercy has the power to resist the vampires to a degree that the other preternaturals lack, even though her small size and lack of strength as a coyote shifter leaves her at a disadvantage. There are parts in this book where I felt the tension like a knife edge. The evil that these creatures were capable of was always clear. Yet some hid it behind an urbane facade.

But more than anything, I love the wolves. The pack dynamics are utterly fascinating. The basic and primal nature of the wolves always played a factor in how Mercy dealt with Samuel, Adam, Bran (the leader of all the werewolves in North America), Warren (Adam's third, a good friend of Mercy), and some of the other wolves in this book. I felt envy that this was not real. But at the same time, I'm not sure I could handle being in love with a werewolf, and knowing that his control is what keeps him from eating or killing you, if that inner wolf nature takes full control. Not to mention dealing with the dicey pack politics that Mercy gets sucked into, despite her desire to do her own thing.

I'm gushing. I know I am. I can't help it. I love this book, and this series. I think I will have restrain myself from speeding my way through it too fast. I don't think I could handle having to wait a long time for the next books in the series, then!

If you're looking for a really good urban fantasy series with a heroine that you will fall in love with, I recommend this series. If you are into werewolf fiction, you are really missing out if you don't read this one. These werewolves are the best in fiction (in my opinion). Thumbs way up!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blood Bound.

Quotes Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) Liked

Patricia Briggs
“Never trust a mechanic who drives new cars. They're either charging too much money for their work, or they can't keep an old car running - maybe both.”

Patricia Briggs
“A dominant wolf's desire to protect was a strong instinct--Samuel was very dominant. Give him an inch, and he'd take over the world--my life, if I let him." ~Mercy”

Patricia Briggs
“Now, I'm not very vain. If I'd ever been, making my living covered in various grease and dirt mixtures would have cured me quickly. Still, I wasn't up to facing two sexy men when I had one eye swollen mostly shut and half of my face black and blue.”

01/29/2010 page 97
33.22% "Briggs is an incredible writer. She writes emotional scenes with such an economical ease of words. I love, love, love her wolves!" 2 comments
01/29/2010 page 133
45.55% "This is a five star book already. What great urban fantasy should be for this reader. My interest, heart, and attention has been captured." 4 comments
03/28/2016 marked as: read

Ally72 Hi Danielle,
I hope this is turning out to be a good one. This is so funny because I was just thinking about starting this series last night. I am in between books and anxious to read these. I guess great minds think alike! LOL! Although, I might have to read one more J.D. Robb book before starting something else again!
Ally

Darcy This is one of my favorite series. I hope you enjoy it. I really liked this one in particular there was so much going on.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) Ally, I think you'll like this one.

Darcy, I'm enjoying it so far. I love her writing. I'm wondering where Adam is. Love the man!

Darcy You need to hurry up and catch up with this series, the new one comes out in the next month or 2. The last one Bone Magic had lots of Adam in it and I am thinking the new one will too.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) I know. I want to read about Charles and Mercy, but I have to get through these books first. Not enough time. I'm glad to hear that there's more Adam to come. I may have to steal him away from Mercy. :)

MelissaB I loved all four of these books so far! Mercy is a great heroine and I like the romance even if it isn't as prevalent.

Tina Danielle I can't believe you let yourself wait so long between the first book and this one. When I finished the first one I needed this one, like, right that second!

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Can you believe I have not yet read the Mercedes series? *sigh* I really need to stop buying new books and read the ones I have. I blame GoodReads.

Ally72 SUPER review Danielle! I can't wait to start this series!!!
Ally

MelissaB Great review Danielle! Mercy rocks!

You still have two more great books in the series, she makes her choice in the next book between Adam and Samuel.

You still have the Alpha and Omega series too which features Samuel's brother Charles and of course has Bran.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) Thanks, ladies. I am trying to refrain myself from reading them all straight through. I am so in love with this series, and I can't want to start Charles and Anna's books.

Melissa, it's interesting how drawn into the romance I am, even though it's not not in the forefront. It's so compelling to me.

message 12: by Rane (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rane Great Review Danielle!

Cynthia Great review Danielle! Once again, you managed to put into words what I'm feeling about this series.

You'll not be disappointed with the other 2 books as it gets even more intense.

I started the Alpha and Omega. I like it but it's taking me a while to warm up to it. I think it's because I love Mercy so much...

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) Thanks, Cynthia. I'm excited to read further in this series. I started the short story for Alpha and Omega. Charles is certainly appealing. Very different from the Mercy books, so far.

Carolyn F. These are the best books. I love the way she writes and makes the characters so appealing too. I'm glad you love them.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) Carolyn, I so agree with you. This book made me do the happy dance. :)

message 18: by Tammy (new)

Tammy Gotta love those books that bring out the happy dance!

Great review D. :)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) Thanks, Tammy. Yes, that feeling of euphoria from a great book is like no other.

message 20: by Susan (new)

Susan Thanks for the review Danielle. I'm glad you like it - I just got a copy of the first book in this series and now can't wait to start reading.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) Susan, I hope you enjoy it. Thanks for reading my review!

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) Great review, Danielle! As your usual!

Lisa Kay Wonderful review, Lady D. Spot on. ☺

Lisa Kay "They have powers that make them formidable enemies and uneasy allies." This line describes the book to a T.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) Thanks, Lisa Kay. I heart Patricia Briggs big time!!!

Duchess Nicole Fantastic review, Lady D! I just finished the first in this series and I'm already an avid fan.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) Thanks, Duchess. This series is awesome. I'm glad you enjoyed the first book and I hope enjoy the rest of the series!

Lenie Ann Great review! Your inputs drew me in and made me interested to this series, it's hard to find this kind of treasure. You made it easier for me