Krystle's Reviews > Amber House

Amber House by Kelly  Moore

Aug 01, 2012

Read from September 09 to 18, 2012

3.5 stars.

I wasn’t even aware of this book until a couple of months ago and was entranced by the cover. I set out to acquire it immediately and made a nice trade for it.

Was it worth it, though?

For the most part. Amber House is fun, mysterious, and bit scary. If you’re into the whole hidden dark secrets, labyrinths, and houses with long histories and long forgotten rooms and corridors, this will definitely make you excited. It’s got all of that and when the characters were exploring and finding out little piece by piece it was so awesome!

I wish my old house could have been that interesting.

There’s some delving into abusive husbands, murders, slavery, illness, and insanity. Good stuff I’m telling you. Not that the concepts themselves are good but it means the story is certainly not lacking for drama or darker tinged areas.

There are instances where the plot just muddles around and there’s a long middle section where everything is kind of dull and draggy but it picks the pace up considerably near the end. I actually was thrown for a bit at the climax because it seems sort of quick and abrupt. While it isn’t necessarily a cliffhanger, you definitely want to know what happens to the characters.

I don’t remember much about the characters so I guess you can say they’re not offensive. Maybe just the same old? Palatable? Better than rip your hair out annoying or slap them stupid. Haha. I’m not too sure about the romance leads because I didn’t really warm up to any of them. They aren’t those strong magnetic presences you’d get with your alpha males or (god forbid) abusive guys; they’re more of a subdued, less dynamic variety.

All in all, a pretty good debut and one worth checking out if the premise hits your fancy.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Amber House.

09/09/2012 page 48
13.0% "Ooh, this is pretty good so far."
09/12/2012 page 140
38.0% "It's gotten a bit dull. I don't really care for Richard."
09/14/2012 page 252
68.0% "It's starting to pick up again. w00t."
09/18/2012 page 368
100.0% "That was a confusing ending."