Bookgirl86's Reviews > A Child Lost

A Child Lost by Michelle  Cox

Historical mystery with a twist-- 'A Child Lost' by Michelle Cox gave me the familiarity of a rich and sumptuous historical piece with a little unexpected flair for good measure.

I have never read Michelle Cox before, but if this novel is representative of the rest of her books, then sign me up!

I couldn't get enough of this novel while I was reading and I couldn't put it down until I finished every last page.

Rarely do I find a historical novel that I feel is so well researched and thought out, plot-wise.

Here is the lowdown on what to expect from the plot: Clive and Henrietta are a married couple living in Chicago in the 1930's, the time of mobsters, murders and mysteries.

Clive is a detective and in this installment in the series, he is desperate to find a new case to take his wife's mind off of her recent miscarriage.

Worried about Henrietta's depressed state of mind, Clive takes on a random case from a friend of his and asks her to help with it.

The case, a spiritualist who seems to be stealing money from unsuspecting clients, seems pretty unremarkable to Clive. That is, until he begins to unravel the threads behind the case itself and begins to wonder if his wife has been taken in by the spiritualist's possibly fake powers.

Michelle Cox's writing is magnificent! I loved all of the finer details that she applied to make this book really stand out as a historical, such as Clive talking about his war time and Henrietta's time as a 26 girl.

No historical piece is complete without detail and Cox really portrayed that here.

I would love to read the rest of the books in this series and to see the origins of the characters.

This was great from start to finish!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Child Lost.

Finished Reading
February 4, 2021 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Dianna (SavingsInSeconds blog) I have never heard of a 26 girl -- learned something today!