Kelly-Ann ~ Sassy Bookish Mama's Reviews > Shadows of the White City

Shadows of the White City by Jocelyn Green

1923595

This was my first book by Jocelyn Green and it definitely won't be my last! This is the second book in the Windy City Saga and although it was pretty easy to follow this book along I would recommend you reading the first one just so you can have some background on Sylvie and Kristof. This story definitely has the element of mystery and suspense and although it's not focused on romantic love it does have some of that as well. This story has you traveling to Chicago's World's Fair of 1893 and like I mentioned before it continues to the story of Sylvie although she is now older and has an adopted teen daughter Rose.

Sylvie is a single mom. She takes in Rose as a child trying to discourage her father to leave her at the orphanage. She promises him that she would take care of her and protect her. Sylvie is definitely a mama bear and at times I found her to be too overprotective over Rose. At the same time Rose seems a bit selfish and hurtful in the way she tends to treat Sylvie. I do understand where she is coming from but I was so upset every time she threw it in her face that she wasn't her true mother. Gah!! I felt so bad for Sylvie that I definitely excused her for being such a mama bear.

When Rose disappears that's when the story definitely gets extremely interesting and it truly captivates you. There were some twists I was definitely not expecting but it definitely made the story. I also enjoyed the love story between Sylvie and Kristoff. Although it wasn't the focus it was there and it was so sweet and truly a perfect addition to the story. I do want to know if we will see Kristoff's brother again as he had his own story that I am not sure is quite finished yet. So I am very curious if we will see him again.

The author does a spectacular job at the details in this story. She truly paints a vivid picture of what life was like inside the World's Fair and makes you feel like you are there. You can tell that she truly excels in researching her history and it definitely is evident in this story. If you haven't picked up anything by her I highly suggest that you do! (Especially if you like historical fiction!)

I received this book from the publisher. I was not required to post a positive review. All views expressed are only my own!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shadows of the White City.

February 4, 2021 – Started Reading
February 4, 2021 – Shelved
February 8, 2021 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Caryl (new) - added it

Caryl Jocelyn Green is one of my MUST read authors!

Kelly-Ann ~ Sassy Bookish Mama Caryl I just agree with you after reading this one!!