Debbie's Reviews > One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey

Nov 19, 2008

Read in January, 2009

** spoiler alert ** The Chief was completely shafted by the movie. And I couldn't help but picture Jack Nicholson in my mind's eye picture of McMurphy. I found it interesting that so much importance was placed on the sanity of laughter. You often hear tell of people laughing like a madman or insanely. But it does seem that laughter is often what keeps us from being hurt. Also, in Stranger in a Strange Land (which I also recently read), it makes a big deal out of how the Man from Mars doesn't laugh until he understands what it is to be human. So it makes me wonder what the significance was of his followers losing their ability to laugh. It seemed when I read it that it was supposed to be taken as a good thing, like they were approaching the book's form of enlightenment. But could it have been really them losing touch with what made them sanely human? Anyway, I've never liked the ending of the movie (so I knew I wouldn't like it in the book), but I did find it to be a bit more satisfying this way. And I am aware that it pretty much had to end this way, but it's still depressing. At least the book shows his impact as lingering better, and in a way he definitely does win over Nurse Ratched once and for all, petty as it may be.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.