Nicholas Sparks's Reviews > Gone Girl

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

Aug 01, 2012

bookshelves: nicholas-recommends

Quite simply, this is one of the best novels of the year. It's a thriller in the best tradition of Alfred Hitchcock and layered with brilliantly written characters; it's the kind of book that's nearly impossible to put down. The surprises and twists keep the reader guessing up until the final page, and my first thought upon finishing the novel was that I wanted to read it a second time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gone Girl.

01/30/2016 marked as: read

Comments (showing 133-182)

message 182: by Theresa (new) - added it

Theresa I have this one on hold. Can't wait to dig in.
Thanks for the review:)

message 181: by Dani (new)

Dani You had me at Hitchcock. Thanks for the recommendation!!

message 180: by Asha (new) - rated it 4 stars

Asha Seth Looking forward to reading it next after I finish 'A Prayer for Owen Meany'! Sounds good based on the review.

Patrick We have this one on hold as well, we're #86, may have to make a purchase!

Jennifer I loved her previous novels and couldn't wait for this one . . .now that it's out I'm halfway through and I hate having to put it down! Hitchcock is a great person to compare Flynn to.

Patrick Hey Nic,
How would you compare her story line with one of Lisa Gardner's creeper stories. She is one my favorites in that genre....thanks!

message 176: by Betty (new) - rated it 5 stars

Betty I'm so glad to see your review. I bought the book a while back but your review gives me the impetus to pick it as my next read. Thanks!

message 175: by Dale (new)

Dale Harcombe I might have to investigate this one

Wicked Dancer I bought it and now can't wait to read it - though it needs to get in line. I wish there was an 8th day of the week designated to reading!

message 173: by Julie (new) - rated it 5 stars

Julie I loved this book as well!

Kayla Loved this book! Glad you did as well =]

message 171: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy Wow, this is a fantastic book. I haven't finished it yet, but so far I can't put it down. This book has made me scream out loud with the twists and turns. I can't wait to recommend it to others to read. I totally agree that it has themes of Alfred Hitchcock.

message 170: by Thea (new) - rated it 3 stars

Thea Jones I added this to my next read after I read Anderson Cooper said how good it was.

message 169: by Karen (new) - rated it 2 stars

Karen Cameron Can't wait to read this one - we are talking about making our next month's read at book club.

message 168: by Ali (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ali I just bought this one! I can't wait to read it!! :)

message 167: by Girlie (new)

Girlie this is next on my reading list :)

message 166: by Anandita (new) - added it

Anandita cant wait to read it

Vanessa great read

message 164: by Sara (new)

Sara Abdullah yes i want to read too

message 163: by Sam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sam I want to read this book :D

message 162: by Penny (new) - rated it 5 stars

Penny or maybe the way she ended it, there will be a sequel although I don't know how she could come close to the twists and suspense in this one.

message 161: by Nadia (new) - added it

Nadia I don't mind reading another thriller

message 160: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim loved all the twists and turns...thriller. one of my favorites

message 159: by Sam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sam I'm reading this book because of Nicholas Sparks and I love it !!! Love the Suspence in this book, I can't put it down

message 158: by Roni (new) - added it

Roni after reading all the reviews..cant wait to pick this one up !!! ty ..

message 157: by Dian (new)

Dian Bowen Trying to finish book now do can read this one!

message 156: by Hannah (new) - rated it 4 stars

Hannah I loved this book. Couldn't put it down.

Wicked Dancer And now they are making a movie! I have got to get this book read before movie releases.

message 154: by Asha (new) - rated it 4 stars

Asha Seth Loved it. :)

message 153: by Jay (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jay Deb This book is simply marvelous

Charane this is so true. i loved her writing style and the characters. i've never read a book and wanted a heroine to die so much. is she even considered a heroin?? ugh.

message 151: by Jorie (new)

Jorie Dakelle I have heard great things about this book. My friend read it, and she couldn't stop talking about it. Your review makes me even more sure I want to read it.

Jessica Shaw My favorite book this year as well!

Karen ♐ Really enjoyed this book. My husband and I read it together and we're constantly surprised in the twists and turns this book took. Highly recommended.

message 148: by Nancy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nancy One of my favorite books of 2013 as well!!!

message 147: by Megan (new) - added it

Megan I love Gillian Flynn's other works... can't wait to delve into this one.

message 146: by Sara_H_140A513 (new)

Sara_H_140A513 i bought it, but never read it

message 145: by Susan (new) - rated it 3 stars

Susan What's wrong with me? I just thought this book was so-so

message 144: by Elisabeth (new) - added it

Elisabeth My dad sent me this for Xmas. Eager to read it.

message 143: by Maria (new) - rated it 3 stars

Maria Nash Susan...I agree! I disliked this book so much!

Karen ♐ My husband and I both read it. We also listened to the audio version. Really liked it.

message 141: by Tamika (new) - added it

Tamika Got this for my mother for Christmas :)

message 140: by Lena (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lena several woman in the office kept passing tge book off. we a had the, "ob my GAwd" reaction, can someone really be that psychotic ??? many want to read again.

message 139: by Tara (new) - added it

Tara amazing book! couldn't put it down, wonderful story and the depth of the characters is so awesome. I just loved it.

message 138: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim Harris I read the book after reading your review. I engaged me completely and I was sad when it ended. The main characters are so completely twisted, yet you find yourself eagerly trying to anticipate what will happen next. Gone Girl is well thought out with delicious complexity. I will definitely be reading her 2 other books!

Passione per i libri good thriller, really

message 136: by Patsy (new)

Patsy Parker I was able to put it down after about two chapters. It was one of the worst books I've ever tried to read!

message 135: by Anna (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anna That must be a good book then I hope you enjoyed it

message 134: by Anna (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anna I'm about to read four of your new books nicholas sparks their awesome I can't put them down once I start reading I watched the movie The lucky one and it was awesome.
Thanks for making good books if you got annomented for a award i would vote for you

Nanette Great read! Impossible to put down!

« previous 1 3 4