Melindeeloo's Reviews > Gunmetal Magic

Gunmetal Magic by Ilona Andrews

Jul 31, 2012

bookshelves: urban-fantasy, shapeshifters, mythological-tie-in, magic
Read from July 31 to August 01, 2012

Gun-loving Andrea Nash, gets her turn in the spotlight when she's called in a as 'neutral' party to investigate the murder of four shape shifters and the case puts her in the supernatural cross hairs - and in the path of her former lover Raphael.

I liked Gunmetal Magic but I am really glad that I'd read the advance snippet with Andrea's first meeting with Raphael before and gotten my extreme depression over that out of the way so that I could enjoy the story - it still bummed me out but to a manageable level. I think that Andrea did a good job in the lead and I liked the intensity between her and Raphael - especially the daggers and sparks that were flying at the beginning which make the revenge later on so sweet:) I do have to admit that even though I did really like Andrea and Raphael, Kate and Curran are a tough act to follow, and they shine brightly here even in the few moments that they have. (Fortunately, though if you need more Kate and Curran, the bonus short Magic Gifts -which the Andrews gifted their fans for short time around Christmas this past year - is also included in this edition.) I also loved seeing more of Roman, the fascinating black Volhv, and the 'kid', Ascanio, was fun too. I hope to see more of them in the future.

Other reviewers have complained that one of Andrea's old enemies get off lightly in that story, but that didn't bother me at all - I could see the larger purpose in how it went down. The only part of the book I didn't really care for was - fractals - and since those things get more and more complicated the more you look at them, I just sort of skimmed that part - I wasn't looking for quite that much edification in my reading.

I am sometimes disappointed when I anticipate a book as much as I did this one, but that definitely wasn't the case here. I should have known that I can always count on the Andrews for snarky humor - and there were some really funny moments here - and happily the husband and wife author pair also delivered an action packed plot wrapped in their trademark bit of myth - this time Egyptian.

So, hurray for Andrea, I love this world and the characters that live there and I will happily read anything set in this very cool world - actually, I am such an Andrews fan girl that I will happily read anything they write set in any of their very cool worlds.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gunmetal Magic.

07/31/2012
5.0% "I am so looking forward to this, hope that isn't a double edged sword. It's nice that Andrea's voice is different from Kate's though..."
07/31/2012
43.0% "Okay, I've made it past my expectations and am in the swing and enjoying it - which means I am off to bed now instead of reading to the point where I am braindead and bleary eyed (be there done that many many times:)"
08/01/2012
55.0% "Oh payback is on the horizon, I am hoping that it is going to be awesome - gotta love those shifter mating rituals..."