Stephanie W's Reviews > A Hologram for the King

Jul 31, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: fiction
Read from July 31 to August 04, 2012

I felt like I spent 300 pages waiting for this book to get going. I kept waiting for the emotion to come in, waiting for the characters to do something interesting, waiting for a montage of problems in the middle east, waiting for Dave Eggers to give some deep insight into human nature, waiting for him to utter a perfect piece of prose that was so moving and so beautiful it would make me want to cry...

It was a book about waiting and futility, which was as poignant as it was aggravating.

Hologram is about a 50-something year old businessman named Alan who is in financial trouble because the tactics of outsourcing and globalization that his generation helped pioneer is the very thing that has caused his and the rest of America's financial problems. Like America, the country that no longer creates things, Alan has never created anything in his life. Alan's life is full of ideas but nothing tangible or worthwhile to show for it. Like the plot, many things happen but nothing purposeful comes to fruition or has an impact on the bigger picture.

I like the idea of the book and I liked the execution though the use of waiting for the characters and the audience. I liked the perpetual spacing between thoughts, forcing the narrative itself to wait for the rest of the story. I liked all of these things, but I did not like the story.

I'll still read anything by Dave Eggers. and I still love the look of all books published by McSweeny's, but this was not my favorite.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Hologram for the King.