Tales Untangled's Reviews > Wildwood Dancing

Wildwood Dancing by Juliet Marillier

Jul 31, 2012

** spoiler alert ** Wildwood Dancing reminds me of a collection of fairy tales which includes, The Twelve Dancing Princesses, Baba Yaga (in the novel named Dragutsa), The Princess and the Frog and stories of Tatiana and Oberon (in the novel their characters are named Ileana and Marin). The connection of Dragutsa and Baba Yaga is tenuous, the similarity being the nasty side of a trick on humans, such as, allowing a child to believe that his brother is dead.

The setting feels very true to the 1500's with the exception of allowing the daughters to care for themselves in their father's absence. Of course, he is described as being eccentric to account for the freedom given to the girls, and there really wouldn't have been a story if the girls were under lock and key.

I would recommend this book and am looking forward to reading more of this Australian's novels. Even girls in about 5th or 6th grade might enjoy this book. As way of a warning, there is one slightly gruesome scene of a dead man and another known murder.

To read my full review go to http://talesuntangled.wordpress.com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wildwood Dancing.