Loralee's Reviews > The Convenient Marriage

Jul 31, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: fiction, romance, regency
Read in July, 2012

This is a good summer read--light and frothy. I actually laughed out loud at times--much to the annoyance of my youngest daughter who was reading a very. sad. book.

"How can you laugh Mom when I'm in such a sad part?"

Excuse me! We are clearly NOT reading the same book!

Horatio Winwood, the youngest daughter of the impoverished Winwood family proposed to the the Earl of Rule AFTER he proposed to her oldest sister because she knows that this marriage would be disastrous. Her beautiful oldest sister is IN LOVE--to someone else and she bravely steps in and encourages the Earl to marry her instead. In return, she promises that she won't interfere with his life. Intrigued, the Earl of Rule agrees.

Horry, a stuttering 17 year old enjoys her new found comfortable life. She thinks nothing of racking up bills at expensive dress and hat shops, gambling away her husband's fortune, and making the friendship with a clearly inappropriate man--Sir Robert--the arch enemy of her husband despite the warning of her husband and sister-in-law. I found Horry an unsympathetic heroine at times. This is why I dropped my rating from 4 stars to 3.

The Earl of Rule, a 35 year old bachelor who decides it's time to settle down to marriage isn't a saint either. However, he sees the redeeming qualities of Hortense and patiently waits for her to grow up a little.

My favorite character is Horry's irresponsible brother, Pelham--a brother who LOVES to gamble and put his family in their precarious financial position. However, whenever he appeared I just couldn't help but laugh. He was the comic relief to all the drama going on--the duels, the stagecoach holdups, the attempted kidnappings.

This was my first Georgette Heyer book, but it probably won't be my last. When I'm in the mood for another light and frothy read, I'll turn to this author who can make me forget the real world going on around me for a few hours.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Convenient Marriage.