Meg - A Bookish Affair's Reviews > Pieta

Jul 31, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: 2012, fiction
Read on July 31, 2012

At its core, Pieta is really a book about probably one of the most difficult things that a person can face in their life: the death of a loved one. I've unfortunately lost a lot of loved ones, mostly to prolonged (and not so prolonged) diseases. It is so hard to watch. You want to help out but there is really nothing that you can do but try to make them more comfortable, and even that sometimes doesn't work. This is exactly what Jim, the main character, is going through in the book. His mother is dying and he must watch.

This is a relatively short book (according to Goodreads, it is about 130 pages). While you get the gist of the basic story, I did find myself wishing that we got to see inside the characters heads a little bit. What was going on with Jim's dad? He seemed like a pious man, yet he was sort of terrible to his family, especially to his wife and to Jim, and I didn't feel like we totally got his motivation. I really love to know what makes characters tick, especially when they're sort of mean or off kilter and you really don't get that here.

I enjoyed the writing and the basic story was pretty good and entertaining. I just wish you got more insight into the different family members.

Bottom line: A good read!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pieta.