Cathy 's Reviews > Blood Crime

Blood Crime by Kim Harrison

Jul 31, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: fantasy, comics-graphic-novels, magic-users, paranormal, read-in-2012, urban, vampire
Read on December 15, 2012

I think the timing is just bad, I'm kind of irritated with Harrison and her tendency to write self-hating want-to-be lovers for Rachel. If I hadn't just finished Into the Woods: Tales from the Hollows and Beyond I would have been looking at this with fresh eyes and it wouldn't have bothered me as much, but seeing it as a part of the whole story arc of the series, it just bugged me more. I can see why so many self-haters would be drawn to a woman who likes herself so much, but the theme is getting old by later on in the book. (Nick, Ivy, now Trent) I was a fan of Ivy's and even Trent's at different points but maybe I'm just too old or something at this point, but it's just too much angst for me now, at least for them being grown-ups. If Ivy was the original then Harrison should have just stuck with her and let her be the role completely. Having so many others play the same notes is just becoming a mess. What's the story going to be. Ivy loves you,but she couldn't change to be with you. Trent loves you, but he can change, just doesn't choose to because he thinks what he's doing is important. Deal with it or don't. Happily ever after! Rachel deserves better.

Plus again, as in the short story featuring Ivy, it's weird to me that her voice is so distant and passionless when she's supposed to be so intense and despairing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blood Crime.