Sandy (blackteabooks)'s Reviews > The Flip Side: A Novel

The Flip Side by James Bailey

liked it
bookshelves: audio-books

3.5 stars - because it had some original streaks that I liked better than in similar books of this genre. For example starting the book with a proposal going horribly wrong, it's working against the usual standards of perfection in love stories, and also the London-Underground-themed fancy dress party (the costumes described genuinely made me laugh), or that Germany is actually part of a setting for once (even if it's Munich during Oktoberfest...).

Unfortunately, my affection for Josh (was that even the MC's name?) dwindled the more the book went on. He turned out to be the typical guy who wants everything handed to him, feels very sorry for himself, is incredibly immature (how is he in his late 20s and has literally no savings) and ignorant (who goes to countries they have never been to, nor speak the language, with ZERO preparation?!), and frankly I don't know what our female MC sees in him at all. I'm not sure the author knows, either. His friends and family deserve a medal for putting up with him.

The descriptions of 'Sunflower Girl' became a bit eerie at some point - is she me, or am I just really basic? Anyway, I enjoyed this book, but wasn't too excited by it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Flip Side.

January 8, 2021 – Started Reading