Sandy (blackteabooks)'s Reviews > Pirate Women: The Princesses, Prostitutes, and Privateers Who Ruled the Seven Seas

Pirate Women by Laura Sook Duncombe

liked it
bookshelves: audio-books

What I liked about this book is that it takes into considerations who tells history, who controls the narrative about women, and what biases might have influenced them. It's also looking at stories about Pirate Women from all over the world, though it's still quite USA-focused.

I can see how the numerous a of attempts to fill the gaps in many stories by imagining how the women might have felt are not sitting right with some readers. I'm not sure what to make of that either, but maybe it's not the worst idea to draw at least some attention to this. Something I actually liked was the thought of stories becoming popular simply because people wanting to hear them, and that for this reason female pirates who were most likely entirely fictional were still included. After all, they might have been inspired by a true story.

In many instances, I wished these stories were told more and we would know the names of these female pirates just as well as Blackbeard or Captain Kidd. If collections like this play a part in that process, I would happily see it. It was a bit cheeky, but I also liked that according to the definition of pirates as "someone who takes something they want, from someone who doesn't want them to have it" given in this book, every empowered women could be a part of this group, because we do so every time we make a decision about ourselves, by ourselves. Drink up me hearties, yo-ho!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pirate Women.

December 20, 2020 – Started Reading