C.G. Drews's Reviews > The Hunger Games

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

bookshelves: dystopian, young-adult, 5-star, foodie-fiction

A gripping, thrilling, shocking read.

I'd heard about the Hunger Games, but still picked up the book slightly skeptical. Written in Present-Tense. First-Person. A dystopian, future-world perspective. Government with total control. Right, I thought, this is going to be strange.

But it was great.

I loved it from beginning to end, from the great start to the breathtaking finish. I finished it in two days (I had to!) and then looked frantically for the second. It's hard to put down, and impossible to forget. Even after the final page, you think about it for days.

The prose is flowing and easy to read. The characters are reality at its finest -- though with so many twists to their personalities you will never fully figure them out, not even at the end. Every concept in the novel is amazing. The detail is sparse but vivid. The action is never ending (each chapter ending with words that make you keep going) and there's not chance for a break. The characters change, the emotion is rich and the plot twists countless times. There's even a dash of sardonic humour from Haymitch and Peeta.

It's a book well worth the read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hunger Games.

Quotes C.G. Liked

Suzanne Collins
“Happy Hunger Games! And may the odds be ever in your favor.”

Suzanne Collins
“I don't want to lose the boy with the bread.”

Suzanne Collins
“It crosses my mind that Cinna's calm and normal demeanor masks a complete madman.”

Suzanne Collins
“You’ve got about as much charm as a dead slug.”

Suzanne Collins
“Destroying things is much easier than making them.”

Suzanne Collins
“Yes, frosting. The final defense of the dying.”

Suzanne Collins
“Stupid people are dangerous.”

Suzanne Collins
“District 12: Where you can starve to death in safety.”

Suzanne Collins
“Don't. Don't let's pretend when there's no one around.”

Started Reading
January 1, 2012 – Finished Reading
July 31, 2012 – Shelved
July 31, 2012 – Shelved as: dystopian
July 3, 2013 – Shelved as: young-adult
July 30, 2013 – Shelved as: 5-star
July 28, 2016 – Shelved as: foodie-fiction

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

Tenley I have "The Hunger Games" on hold at my local library and I can't wait to get my hands on it!

Traci I've read the first two books and they're amazing! I watched the first movie too, but i don't know if it's as good as the books.

ACCOUNT NO LONGER ACTIVE I adore this series! You wrote such a good review it makes me feel happy.
:) :)

Kristen Love this book

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

WHO doesn;t love The Hunger Games?

Book Tribute the hunger games is amazing