C.G. Drews's Reviews > The Scorpio Races

The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater

Jul 31, 2012

bookshelves: young-adult, 5-star, paranormal, read-2016, audio-books, foodie-fiction, read-2017, reread
Read 3 times. Last read October 31, 2017 to November 4, 2017.

--> REREAD #3, NOVEMBER 2017
So I purely reread this for the aesthetic of NOVEMBER 1st. Go me. I am shallow and great. And also I love this book so bloody much it actually hurts my heart. I am hopelessly and utterly in love with Sean and Corr and Thisby and every word choice is so PERFECT that it melts me.

Notable 3rd Read Thoughts:
• can Holly pls adopt Sean
• Puck keeps trying to be less vinegar but she should be all the vinegar
• 99% sure Finn has OCD and it is such a good rep
• Gabe and Tommy Falks are my new ship don't @ me
• SEAN FREAKING KENDRICK <3 <3
• also shout out to the fact that this is truly the best romance of life and Sean and Puck like barely have to hold hands or kiss to be the most beautiful relationship of the world
• also why can't I have more
• sean tho
• i need to go sit down i have emotions

--> REREAD #2, JUNE 2016

I CANNOT EVEN POSSIBLY REMEMBER HOW TO WORD RIGHT NOW PEOPLE. This book means so very much to me. You know those books that are just yours for some reason? This one = mine. It started me on YA. I read it after The Hunger Games and there was noooo going back afterwards. YA OBSESSION HERE WE COME. Not to mention my deep eternally wildly fangirling permanent adoration of all things Stiefvater. She is my most favourite author of the universe. Why? THIS IS WHY. Flawless books of utter writing perfection and characters that steal your heart. omg. I honestly...I'm just a mess of feelings.

Re-reading this was like coming home to old friends. It's been 4 years since I read it. I FORGOT SO MUCH. I had like 9 anxieties reading it even though I'd already read it. I fell hopelessly back in love with Sean Kendrick. It's the quietness. I LOVE QUIETNESS. Sean says 1 word where everyone says 6. Me toooooo. Or else I say 0 words where everyone says 6 and wait until they're definitely listening to talk. His non-talking-ness just resonated wtih me. aGAIN. And Puck's vinegar and sugar temperament I just love endlessly. ALSO FINN; the precious. He is probably one of the bestly written characters with OCD I've ever read...especially in a fantasy!! (I think Maggie Stiefvater has OCD, right? So you can tell this is just crafted so beautifully and thoughtfully.) (I just wish I knew how old he was, dangit. I just KEEP WONDERING. I'm going to say 13 maybe?)

ALSO I THINK I CRIED. Because beautiful words and just the way Thisby always catches my heart so I KINDA CAN'T BREATHE BECAUSE I LOVE IT ALL SO MUCH.

I need more stars to give this book. MORE. STARS.

(Also there's a whole chapter set in a bakery, FYI.)

Needless to say: this is one of my all time favourite books of the universe. I just....I JUST CAN'T SUM IT UP OKAY?!? My heart fractured so. many. times. and the last chapter actually...I just...ajfdklasfdjakldj. If you haven't ever read a Stiefvater book: START HERE. I just want to HUG IT and keep it and love it forever. OKAY I'LL STOP GUSHING BUT OMG THIS BOOK MEANS THE WORLD TO ME.

(Note: the audiobook is freaking fantastic by the way. BEST choice for the re-read. The actors are impeccable and Sean's voice = <3333 PLUS it has music on their by Maggie Stiefvater!! And this EPIC author's note about the behind-the-scenes of her building Thisby and AFJDADSKALD I LOVED THE AUDIO.)

***** ORIGINALLY 2012 *****

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Scorpio Races.

Quotes C.G. Liked

Maggie Stiefvater
“You two are a strange pair. You are a pair, aren't you?"

"We're in training.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“He is slow, and the sea sings to us both, but he returns to me.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“It is the first day of November and so, today, someone will die.”

“I am so, so alive.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“Does anyone ask you why you stay, Sean Kendrick?"
"They do."
"And why do you?"
"The sky and the sand and the sea and Corr.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“The truth is, until you know any different, the island is enough.
Actually, I know different. And it's still enough.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“My mother always said that I was born out of a bottle of vinegar instead of born from a womb and that she and my father bathed me in sugar for three days to wash it off. I try to behave, but I always go back to the vinegar.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“Sean, as always, gets by on one word while everyone else needs five or six.”

2012 – Started Reading
2012 – Finished Reading
July 31, 2012 – Shelved
July 31, 2012 – Shelved as: young-adult
July 30, 2013 – Shelved as: 5-star
March 11, 2014 – Shelved as: paranormal
May 22, 2016 –
page 43
10.51% "It's been like 3 years since I read this. DEFINITELY OVERDUE FOR A RE-READ.\n Also I don't have a The Raven King shaped hangover. Pfft. Why would you think that."
May 28, 2016 –
page 125
30.56% "HELP I'M IN LOVE WITH SEAN KENDRICK.\n (again)\n (like dammit this happens every time I read this book)"
May 31, 2016 –
page 221
54.03% "That's it. I'm packing my things immediately and moving into this book."
June 5, 2016 –
page 273
66.75% "THIS IS A RE-READ AND I KNOW HOW THIS BOOK ENDS AND YET I STILL HAVE 9 ANXIETIES AND AM DYING HERE."
June 5, 2016 –
page 316
77.26% "THEY HAVEN'T EVEN HELD HANDS YET AND I AGGRESSIVELY SHIP THEM THE MOST OF EVER."
June 13, 2016 –
page 326
79.71% "There was an ENTIRE CHAPTER in a bakery and omg, I just...I just want to eat this book I love it so."
June 13, 2016 –
page 371
90.71% "AFJKQRQRQRQRQ THEY ARE SO ADORABLE I CAN'T BREATHE.\n I'm so anxious about the race and I HAVE READ THIS BOOK BEFORE. LIKE, SERIOUSLY, BRAIN, REMEMBER YOUR TRAINING."
June 14, 2016 – Started Reading
June 14, 2016 – Shelved as: read-2016
June 14, 2016 – Shelved as: audio-books
June 14, 2016 – Finished Reading
July 28, 2016 – Shelved as: foodie-fiction
October 31, 2017 – Started Reading
October 31, 2017 –
page 20
4.89% "It is the first day of November and so, today, someone will die.

I'M LITERALLY RE-READING THIS FOR THE AESTHETIC. I'M SHALLOW. DON'T MIND ME."
November 1, 2017 –
page 110
26.89% "The entire island of Thisby is SO BUSY telling Sean not to look at Puck and Puck not to look at Sean...that I think they're totally shipping them.

Same."
page 171
41.81% "So Finn frets and has so many rituals and is really shy and anxious and I am headcannoning that he has ocd because yes."
page 299
73.11% "SOMETIMES I LOVE THISBY AND SEAN SO SO MUCH I JUST HAVE TO HOWL AND CLIMB A WALL."
page 338
82.64% "And all the while I try very hard to keep my eyes from darting to Sean because I'm quite certain that no one at the table will be able to miss how I look at him and how I find him looking back.

I LOVE THEM AN UNBEARABLE AMOUNT HOW CAN THIS BE THE PUREST PERFECT SHIP WHEN THEY HAVEN'T EVEN HELD HANDS YET."
November 4, 2017 – Shelved as: read-2017
November 4, 2017 – Finished Reading
February 26, 2018 – Shelved as: reread

vibraniums * adds to top of my (mount Everest) tbr *

Autumn I love rereading Maggie Stiefvater's books. I've actually lost count of how many times I've read The Raven Boys. Ahem.

message 3: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly My faaaaaaavorite. I love this book. Talk about a slow burn romance that's just perfect.

message 4: by Anna (new)

Anna I need to pick it up! It sounds truly amazing! Wonderful review! :)

Brittany (The Book Addict's Guide/Novelly Yours) I had forgotten so much too when I first re-read! Like...... I totally forgot how it ended haha! It's soooo good no matter how many times you re-read. I LOVE IT

Katie  Hanna That sounds so GOOD!

Katie Finn has OCD?

C.G. Drews @Katie: He definitely does have an anxiety disorder and just the way he presents it makes me think OCD. I LOVE HIM, AHHHHH, ADORABLE CREATURE.

message 9: by Deborah (new) - added it

Deborah O'Carroll The Hype is strong with this one... (Also I love the contrast between your review from 4 years ago where you're all serious, and now this hopelessly fangirling flaily review. XD)

message 10: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Deborah: Bahahha, I know right!??!? Back when I used to try and review books professionally omg. CRYING WITH LAUGHTER.

La La AHHHHHHHHHHH! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! *HUGE HEART EYES*

message 12: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @LaLa: OMGGGG YOU ARE A FAN?!??! *SHRIEKS FROM THE MOUNTAIN TOPS WITH JOY*

message 13: by Kari (new) - added it

Kari Rhiannon (Moon Magister Reviews) This book actually arrived for me in the post today!!! I'm so excited to read it now.

Tracy One of my all time favorite novels. Everything about it is beautiful.

message 15: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Kari: Omggg you are in for a treat! THIS IS MY ULTIMATE FAVOURITE NOVEL.

@Tracy: JFAKDSLF I COULDN'T AGREE MORE.

message 16: by Ilse (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ilse Imaginer Basically THANK YOU for obsessing over Stiefvater on your blog. This led to me reading this book (and later The Raven Boys, which is life) and thus I thank you muchly.

message 17: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Ilse: YOU ARE MOSE WELCOME. Obsessing over Stiefvater is basically my goal in life.

Meghan Powers GOODNESS GRACIOUS WORDS CANNOT FULLY EXPRESS MY INSANE AMOUNT OF LOVE FOR THIS BOOK I KID YOU NOT I WAS REREADING PARTS OF IT ON MY PHONE YESTERDAY ("YET" IS SUCH A BEAUTIFUL WORD) STIEFVATER IS ALSO ONE OF MY ABSOLUTE FAVORITE AUTHORS ONLY I HAVENT REVIEWED ANY OF HER BOOKS ON HERE CAUSE I JUST STARTED GOODREADS BUT ITS OKAY BECAUSE I ACCIDENTALLY BEGAN REREADING THE RAVEN KING YESTERDAY SO MAYBE ILL REVIEW THAT THE SECOND TIME AROUND. IT MAKES ME SOOO HAPPY WHEN I FIND OTHER MAGGIE FANATICS. YES. ALSO THIS REVIEW IS FANTASTIC AND IM SORRY FOR ALL OF THE CAPITAL LETTERS.

message 19: by Saania Zee (new) - added it

Saania Zee Jamal ϟ SO EXCITED TO START THIS SOON!!

message 20: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Meg: I APPROVE SO MUCH OF YOUR ALL CAP ENTHUSIASM. HAVE YOU TRIED THE AUDIOBOOK? I RECOMMEND IT 10000% BECAUSE YOU WILL FALL IN LOVE WITH SEAN'S VOICE. IT WILL HAPPEN. IT'S SO BEAUTIFUL I MIGHT CRY.

@Saania Zee: AHHH!! YAYYY!!!!

Hannah (Ivyclad Ideas) THIS IS ONE OF MY FAVOURITE YA BOOKS! XD
Finn is definitely my favourite character. :) Don't get me wrong, I love Puck, and Sean, and Corr, and November Cakes, but Finn is my favourite.

message 22: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Rain: I LOVE EVERYTHING ABOUT IT. ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING. <3 Except for the part where it ended and didn't go on forever and ever because I need moooooore.

Ashley *Hufflepuff Kitten* my favorite Maggie book!

Mironiel Blokzyl I love this book sooo much

Meghan Powers Even the idea of Sean Kendrick's voice gives me chills. SIGN ME THE HELL UP!

Choko Awesome review!

Stacey (prettybooks) I loveee the audiobook. I’m always recommending it to people who haven’t tried them before!

Camryn This is one of my all time favorites!

message 29: by Maya (new) - rated it 5 stars

Maya I could write a whole paragraph about how much I relate to this review, but I’ll be concise and just say this: Same.

message 30: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews So so much love. I want to re-read it on Nov 1st for AESTHETIC. #NotEvenSorry 😂

message 31: by George (new)

George Jankovic Amazing review, Cait!

Zohal Looks like I will need to reread this via audio :)

message 33: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Zohal: The audio is honestly the BEST. I prefer listening to it to read the book myself haha.😂

message 34: by Melissa (new) - added it

Melissa Sullivan This is my first time through and my last book of hers to read so far. I honestly can’t think of any genre that she wouldn’t be able to pull off. Her characters feel so real that you swear you could just go knock on their door and ask for a cup of sugar. *swoooon*

message 35: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Melissa: Maggie Stiefvater's writing is PERFECT in every way.

Molly |Bibliophile| I guess I will have to buy this soon!

SanaBanana CONGRATS you just made me reread this book because how am i supposed to live without reading it if you keep flaunting its brilliance???
(thankyou though, from the bottom of my heart)

Arururu SEAN FREAKING KENDRICK 😭😭😭😭

message 39: by Amy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amy Johnston Oh my word you’ve made me want to read this so much! 🤯🤩

message 40: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Amy: EXCELLENT. My work here is done.

Katie  Hanna ^^She made me want to read it and I definitely didn't regret the decision. *nods*

message 42: by idiffer (new) - added it

idiffer teh horsies, teh poor poor slave horsies... this book is cruel

message 43: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Jessica: Yesssss I'm so glad too!!

message 44: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @idiffer: Look dude you always leave either negative, antagonistic, or passive aggressive comments on my reviews. Best suggestion is stop following me and that will solve a lot of problems.

Katie  Hanna Cait (Paper Fury) wrote: "@Jessica: Yesssss I'm so glad too!!"

:-) :-)

message 46: by idiffer (new) - added it

idiffer @Cait
That's just my sense of humor, I leave such comments everywhere, don't take me seriously.

Macy  (It's a Book Thing) Reading your review makes me want to start this book right now! I don’t know why I’ve avoided it for so long.

message 48: by Rie (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rie Lee Ahhhhh YESSSSS I am so happy to see people love Finn as much as I do. He's amazing. Just so bloody amazing. <333