Siv's Reviews > Rodham

Rodham by Curtis Sittenfeld

I didn't expect to read this, but it was available when I was looking for something to fill the gap between other books. I wasn't sure I'd like it, as I've felt hit-or-miss about Sittenfeld's books. I've had mixed feelings about Hillary for years - pity, confusion, ambivalence, respect.

Up to a point, we know the general outlines of the narrative (I'll admit it felt slightly voyeuristic to read about Hillary and Bill...). And then Sittenfeld's interpretation of what might have happened if Hillary had left Bill takes interesting twists and turns and I couldn't put it down. Mostly, she paints Hillary in a respectful light that creates empathy - for who she is personally and politically as she faces the particular challenges a would-be glass ceiling-shattering woman must.

"But as much as I wanted to be president, I wanted a woman to be president - I wanted this because women and girls were half the population and we deserved, as a basic human right and a means of ensuring justice, to be equally represented in our government. Yet it was hard to explain because no man had ever run for president for this reason; even Barack, who'd surely run in part for the racial version of it, had never to my knowledge articulated it as such. Some presidents cared about improving the world, and all of them had egos; but none of them had run because they hoped to gain entry to the highest office of power on behalf of an entire gender. Yes, I was me, Hillary, but I also was a vessel and a proxy."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rodham.

Started Reading