Jill's Reviews > Love, Aubrey

liked it
Recommended to Jill by: 2013 Caudill list
Read from July 30 to 31, 2012

More like 3.5 stars.

I think this book has been on my to-read list for a long time, and I am finally reading it because it is also on the 2013 Caudill list.

This book was about Aubrey, an 11-year-old survivor of a car accident that killed her father and younger sister. As if this wouldn't be traumatic enough for a child, her mother unable to cope, abandons her as well, leaving her to fend for herself in their family home until her grandmother assumes care of Aubrey.

I thought the author did well in her portrayal of the feelings of a young child who would undergo such a terrible thing. Aubrey always seemed like an 11-year-old to me - she never made decisions that were beyond her age, and her reactions to things seemed appropriate, too. Her friend Bridget was well-written also. Although sometimes Bridget could be a bit frustrating because she didn't know how to handle Aubrey and her emotions, it all made sense based on their ages.

This was a good book but obviously pretty sad. It was a bit on the heavy side, but didn't try to make any proclamations about death or life after death or anything like that. I appreciated that.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Love, Aubrey.

07/30/2012 page 114
42.0% "Geez a loo this is depressing."