Bookbesties's Reviews > The Duke's Princess Bride

The Duke's Princess Bride by Amalie Howard

Another bada$$ heroine from Amalie Howard! That is the statement that comes to mind when I
think of this wonderful book. We have come to expect strong, sassy, and independent leading ladies
from this author and in my opinion, this is her strongest heroine yet. I love how as strong as this leading
lady has been written our hero is her perfect match in all ways. The verbal sparring matches, continual
battle of wills, and the chemistry of this pair made this book so much fun to read, add to that an
element of danger and the risk of scandal and this book was impossible to put down.
I really want to take a moment to commend this author for fully facing the ugly racism that a person
of color, a person with mixed origins, and even those who are not but choose to befriend and/or love
them, would have faced in the time of this story. All without trying to sugar coat or diminish the turmoil
such hate causes those who are often thought to be the most impervious to it. I feel like she did an
incredible job of showing how living with such hate can make someone feel like they have no place in
the world and the deep seated emotional toll such feelings can exact on a person even if they have been
“well loved”, are “high born”, and are considered to have extraordinary physical beauty. I forced myself
reevaluate a lot of my own personal perspectives, and considerations (which I had previously based on
my own personal interactions with people from different backgrounds) on the depth of both the seen
and unseen emotional damage and the constant internal struggles that such hate in any amount, in any
form, in any era, and at any time causes because of this book and these characters, and I thank Amalie
Howard for that.
Princess Sarani Rao, the beautiful daughter of the Maharaja of Joor, is forced to run for her life when
her father is assassinated and those who wished him dead now have their sights set on her. With
limited options and few she can trust she decides to flee her home country of India to England where
hopefully she can gain the protection of her noble family members, whom she has never met, and who
disowned her mother for loving her father, a person of color. After the captain of the only boat
scheduled to set sail refuses to take on passengers, she boards the boat as a stow-away. Little did she
know that the captain of the boat is none other than the boy she once loved and was forced by duty to
betray. Will he have sympathy on her situation in spite of their past and see her safely to England or will
he leave her fate to the assassins?
Rhystan Huntly, Duke of Embry and Captain of the Belonging is begrudgingly returning to England
after being summoned, on the pretense that his mother is ailing, to see to the ducal duties he never
wanted. Refusing to take on passengers the last thing he expected was to wake up from a rum induced
slumber, being straddled by a woman, AFTER they had set sail. More so he never expected for that
woman to be the one woman who haunts his sweetest dreams and stars in his worst nightmares. The
Princess who betrayed him and shattered his heart 5 years ago when she chose duty over fighting for
their love is here aboard his ship, as a stow away. Was this an intentional manipulation on her part or
was this some sick twist of fate? Either way, will his resentment for her past betrayal and the hate born
from his heart break lead him to throw her over-board or will he let her stay on board so he can seek
revenge another way? Or will he find the truth behind the saying, “there is a fine line between love and
hate”?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Duke's Princess Bride.

Finished Reading