MJ Nicholls's Reviews > Why Scots Should Rule Scotland

Jul 30, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: hoots-mon, non-fiction

description

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Why Scots Should Rule Scotland.

July 30, 2012 – Started Reading
July 30, 2012 – Shelved
July 30, 2012 – Shelved as: non-fiction
July 30, 2012 – Shelved as: hoots-mon
July 30, 2012 – Finished Reading

message 1: by William1 (new)

William1 I thin this would be interesting. What about style? Was it engaging? Or was it mostly stuff that you, as a Glaswegian, already knew? I adore Grey but have only read six of his books.

message 2: by MJ (last edited Aug 01, 2012 04:38AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

MJ Nicholls Gray is very knowledgeable about Scottish (and world) history and politics, but his accounts are eccentric and chatty. This book isn't really a polemic on Scots nationalism so much as a crash course in Scottish subjugation, so a tad misleading.

message 3: by Antonomasia (new)

Antonomasia Have you read Momus' surreal version of this sort of thing (The Book of Scotlands)?
Though I certainly wouldn't recommend Momus for primary school reading...

message 4: by MJ (new) - rated it 3 stars

MJ Nicholls I haven't, but I have read his Book of Jokes, which might be the dirtiest book I've read.

message 5: by Richard (last edited Aug 01, 2012 07:48AM) (new)

Richard Emjay i luved this esay it wuz fun to reed i hop yu git a gud mark on it cuz yor nam is mark two hahaha

by four now mr nickles

ps do scotish peeple realy eat hagis? can you send me sum? i want to tri it to.

message 6: by MJ (new) - rated it 3 stars

MJ Nicholls I hate haggis, actually. It is as repuslive as you imagine, only more so.

message 7: by Richard (new)

Richard MJ wrote: "I hate haggis, actually. It is as repuslive as you imagine, only more so."

Or as they would say on this side of the pond, "Tastes like chicken."

message 8: by karen (new)

karen awww, i love you. i also love alasdair gray, but i love this review. and your excellent and accurate drawing.

message 9: by William1 (new)

William1 MJ wrote: "Gray is very knowledgeable about Scottish (and world) history and politics, but his accounts are eccentric and chatty. This book isn't really a polemic on Scots nationalism so much as a crash cours..."

Thanks.

message 10: by MJ (new) - rated it 3 stars

MJ Nicholls tanks all off u i rote this mice elf my dad didnt even help me yay!

message 11: by Antonomasia (new)

Antonomasia MJ wrote: "I haven't, but I have read his Book of Jokes, which might be the dirtiest book I've read."
I've avoided The Book of Jokes as it sounded just a bit too sordid for me. The Book of Scotlands is one of those books I keep, er, dipping into ... without finishing. The chapters vary from one sentence to 3 or 4 pages, sketching various odd parallel-universe Scotlands. (e.g. "The Scotland whose main exports are reggae dubplates and ingots of pig-iron.") It's a lot of fun and makes a very nice change from all the usual pro / anti nat arguments.

Also, glad to see you already know about Momus; his work seemed like it might be your sort of thing.

message 12: by MJ (new) - rated it 3 stars

MJ Nicholls The Scotland whose main exports are reggae dubplates and ingots of pig-iron.

I'm sold. Sign me up for more Momus.

message 13: by MJ (new) - rated it 3 stars

MJ Nicholls Oh, he also has a Book of Japans out. He could milk this for a long time.

message 14: by Antonomasia (new)

Antonomasia Heh. They are part of a multi-author series: http://www.sternberg-press.com/index....
(In a rare feat of self-control I actually didn't buy the Japan one - though I do have the Finland.)

message 15: by MJ (new) - rated it 3 stars

MJ Nicholls Oh, very cool press. Thanks for the link.

message 16: by Noran (new)

Noran Miss Pumkin Scotland-occupied for centuries, but never defeated.
Going to have me some Bridie.

message 17: by Shovelmonkey1 (new)

Shovelmonkey1 Haggis is the essence of wrongness handily distilled and captured in a sheep's tummy.

message 18: by MJ (new) - rated it 3 stars

MJ Nicholls Shovelmonkey1 wrote: "Haggis is the essence of wrongness handily distilled and captured in a sheep's tummy."

I can't disagree.

message 19: by Richard (new)

Richard Shovelmonkey1 wrote: "Haggis is the essence of wrongness handily distilled and captured in a sheep's tummy."

Sounds like the quintessential definition of a very baa'd dining experience.

message 20: by Shovelmonkey1 (new)

Shovelmonkey1 Richard - terrible! Hope ewe feel sheepish after that comment.

message 21: by Richard (new)

Richard Shovelmonkey1 wrote: "Richard - terrible! Hope ewe feel sheepish after that comment."

I knew I was going to get lambasted for that comment! :(